Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 00:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help: taking gmat in 2 weeks, aiming for ox & cam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need help: taking gmat in 2 weeks, aiming for ox & cam [#permalink] New post 09 Jan 2005, 00:40
Hi this is Chantal, I am new here and want to first thank you guys for running such an amazing site!!

This is my case...my target schools are Oxford or Cambridge (Not considering LBS), I know that their gmat score range is roughly about 670-710, but realistically what would be the minimum score I need?

Is it true that for UK b schools they dont put as much emphasis on gmat?
I recently graduated from a top 5 (to top 8, depending on the ranking system) Canadian university and had a 3.8 gpa for my junior & senior year but a lower accumulative gpa because I did terribly in my freshman yr and had a B+ avg in my soph. yr.

Do you guys have any advice on these two schools? I know they arent as competitive as top 10s in the US or LBS, but is there still a vicious competition?

I am also interested in Yale if I can do a joint degree there, but if not, I want to stick to the UK schools because of the 1-year program. Reason: I want another MA in International Relations so if I cannot do a joint degree I'd prefer to spend less time on MBA so that I can do a MA in IR afterwards.

I am not planning to apply until at least 2 to 3 years later.

my most recent practice test scores (last week): kaplan CAT (580, Q37 V33) and a kaplan Practice Test (700, Q50 V37)
I am doing the gmat in two weeks, any advice on what to focus on in the next 2 weeks?

Please give some advice...ANY advice or comments..THANK YOU so much.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 15:43
Have you considered other joint MBA/IR programs in the US? With careful design you might be able to fit an MBA and Masters of IR into roughly two years at an American school.

http://mba.wharton.upenn.edu/mba/academ ... .php#listB

http://gsb.uchicago.edu/fulltime/academ ... ional.aspx
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2005, 20:34
Hi Hjort,
I have. I was really interested in Columbia's program. But after talking to people who's doing/done a joint in MBA and IR I found out that many people take 3 years to finish both degrees in order to maintain sanity.

Still..I haven't ruled out that possibility, and I'm still trying to find out more about Oxbridge's mba program. I have a different career goal than many prospective mba students. I'm putting more weight on IR so I want to find a less hardcore mba program. Oxbridge's programs seem weaker and more flexible but they still have the prestige. or maybe I'm wrong?

Chicago's program actually looks very interesting. Thanks a lot for the response and the sites. do you know more about the program? or anything on Oxbridge?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2005, 10:55
The main reason that I mentioned Chicago GSB is that it is well known for having a relatively open schedule and a very interdisciplinary tradition. It might be possible to do both degrees at Chicago and maintain a sense of sanity. The flexibility of the schedule also allows you to limit the number of quant courses you take in a way that this difficult in more prescribed programs.

Considering your goals, I think that a one year MBA and one year MA in IR also makes sense.

The Oxbridge MBA programs are young so they do not have the reputation and number of alumni of more established programs. On the other hand, it is important to note that MBA programs have existed in the UK for only about 40 years so the other schools in the region did not have too much of a head start. Further, they are associated with two of the best known academic institutions in the world so they have strong name recognition in that sense.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 05:16
Hi Hjort,
Thank you for your suggestion...Very valuable.
A major concern I have is my GMAT score. I have quite a unique personal profile but I know gmat will not be my forte. I have doubts that I'll hit a mark high enough for first-tier schools in the States, but I've heard that UK b-schools don't put as much emphasis on GMAT compared to the US. Is that true that a lower gmat score will not cripple my application as much with Oxbridge?

I did another kaplan's CAT this morning and got 550--very disappointing. I've been told that kap's Practice Test is closer to the level of the real exam and their CAT's about 60-100 pts below it. Kaplan told me that I can expect something from 670-710, but looking at my marks (esp. today's), I find that too optimistic. I find it hard to assess where I actually stand. Can you give me some help? Do you think I'm ready for the exam? I'm starting to consider postponing the exam (an extremely dreadful idea) if I'm not ready.

Jan 03, 2005: CAT 2: 580 (70%) (Q37 V33)
Jan 05, 2005: PT C: 700 (93%) (Q50 V 37) (PT: Practice Test)
Jan 09, 2005: CAT 3: 560 (64%) (Q35 V33)
Jan 11, 2005: PT D: 700 (93%) (Q52 V36)
Jan 12, 2005: CAT 4: 550 (60%) (Q34 V30)

I think Chicago's pretty competitive too..and I think my gmat might be lower than their average. I'm publishing a book (social-political issues in relation to int'l business) within the next year, a second book on its way, and a couple of projects that will help my application stand out..I just need to know what's considered a "decent" gmat scroe for these schools and if I'm ready or should I postpone the exam.