Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help to get from 700 to 750

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Need help to get from 700 to 750 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2011, 12:12
I took the GMAT a while back, and my score will expire in November 2012. I'm planning on applying round 1 of that year and want to retake it because my quant is below 80%, and I really want to get around 750. I've already gone through manhattan gmat books and am currently doing knewton's online course, but they haven't helped much.

Should I take a prep course next year? If so, what course do you guys recommend? It seems like going from 700 to 750 is A LOT more difficult and less common than going from 650 to 700.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help to get from 700 to 750 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 06:32
Quote:
It seems like going from 700 to 750 is A LOT more difficult and less common than going from 650 to 700.

Yes it is! I can't provide any solutions but I can tell you about things that worked for me!

1. Have a clear idea about how you're going to achieve that +750. After having scored a 710 (Q48 and V40), I decided to shoot for +760. The best way to do this was to maximize my quant score (51) and score 1 point more in verbal. A 51/41 split would have given me a 760, but I fell one point short in verbal and ended up with a 750! The point is - play at your strength and consolidate your weakness.
2. Due to fortunate turn of events, I was offered a job as a GMAT quant instructor by a prep firm in my city. I took the job and it helped me immensely. I told my colleagues and my students that I would be re-taking the test to score a +760. This gave me a sense of responsibility because I would be held accountable.
3. Take your time... But don't lose focus!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1070

Kudos [?]: 4773 [0], given: 163

Re: Need help to get from 700 to 750 [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 21:15
Expert's post
Arbitrageur wrote:
I took the GMAT a while back, and my score will expire in November 2012. I'm planning on applying round 1 of that year and want to retake it because my quant is below 80%, and I really want to get around 750. I've already gone through manhattan gmat books and am currently doing knewton's online course, but they haven't helped much.

Should I take a prep course next year? If so, what course do you guys recommend? It seems like going from 700 to 750 is A LOT more difficult and less common than going from 650 to 700.

The level of difficulty rises exponentially. A 50 point increase at a lower level is much easier than a 50 point increase at 700 level. The reason is that at 700, you already know your fundamentals well so the easy way of improving your score doesn't work for you. You instead need to focus on challenge questions and harder applications. It takes some time to get used to identifying the different forms in which the same concept can be questioned. Another thing that comes into the picture is time. It is good to know how to solve questions logically (I discuss these methods in my blog) rather than mathematically to save time. You are bound to get some hard questions and if you have enough time on your hands, you can peacefully sort them out. Else, your nervousness gets the better of you and you rush through them making mistakes. So you need to approach the problem of increasing your score by 50 points differently.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need help to get from 700 to 750   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2011, 21:15