Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 13:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Help: Which One is better n Why??

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Need Help: Which One is better n Why?? [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 09:26
a) HR manager proposed to reduce, by nearly 10%, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the office buildings.
b) HR manager proposed a nearly 10% reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the office buildings.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 10:46
B) is better constructed and consice.

Ketan
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2005, 11:27
"A" for me

B seems to say that---- the manager proposed to reduce 10% from the last years's amount. ----how can one propose to do sth in an event which is over.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 06:53
need some more comment.. please..
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need Help: Which One is better n Why?? [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 09:40
jpv wrote:
a) HR manager proposed to reduce, by nearly 10%, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the office buildings.
b) HR manager proposed a nearly 10% reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the office buildings.

I think have an of/from problem in this sentence. Choice A we are reducing the amount from the previous year. This doesn't sound correct to me. What amount? By nearly 10%?Also I think there might be a comparison problem with A, we are reducing an amount from a year, not a previous years amount. The GMAT loves to play upon basic human assumption. They want you to assume that you are reducing from the previous years amount, but in actuality you are reducing from the previous year.

Now B fixes both of these problems when it dictates the amount allocated the previous year, However, I think that a nearly 10% is horrific., and that alone would make me question its correctness.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2005, 12:22
If we keep meaning apart, are both sentences gramatically correct :?:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 147 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2005, 19:43
I would go with A
My explanation is actually exactly like that of dipaksingh

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 07:02
I also picked (a)....

But here is the actual question from OG...

What will u pick best answer in this:

Faced with an estimated $2 billion budget gap, the city's mayor proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize
hundreds of local arts groups.
(A) proposed a nearly 17 percent reduction in the amount allocated the previous year to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(B) proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent in the amount it was allocating to maintain the city's major cultural institutions and for subsidizing
(C) proposed to reduce, by nearly 17 percent, the amount from the previous year that was allocated for the maintenance of the city's major cultural institutions and to subsidize
(D) has proposed a reduction from the previous year of nearly 17 percent of the amount it was allocating for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions, and to subsidize
(E) was proposing that the amount they were allocating be reduced by nearly 17 percent from the previous year for maintaining the city's major cultural institutions and for the subsidization
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Help: Which One is better n Why?? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 09:36
jpv wrote:

From above b seems concise and clear, and from the OG, I'd go with A, though I am less sure there now because the sentence seems more complicated than the example above.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Help: Which One is better n Why?? [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 16:42
Arsene_Wenger wrote:
jpv wrote:

From above b seems concise and clear, and from the OG, I'd go with A, though I am less sure there now because the sentence seems more complicated than the example above.

What is grammatically wrong in (A) or (B)?
Is ur basis of choosing (B) completely based on conciseness??
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2005, 17:37
(A) seems to have a dangling modifier. HR manager proposed to reduce should be modifying the amount of resource allocated for maintenance. However, in (A), it modifies a percentage.

(B) is better, but I do not like the word nearly 10%. But since it doesn't seem as bad a grammatical mistake as (A), i'll go with (B) and say it's better. Besides, it's more concise, and one of the aims of GMAT sentences it be concise while being grammatically correct.
  [#permalink] 23 Feb 2005, 17:37