Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Re: Need help with B school selection [#permalink]
Expert Reply
akshaychandna wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
akshaychandna wrote:
Hi Jon,

Country - India
Work exp. - 6 years in Analytics industry
Gmat score - 710
GPA - 3
Graduation - Electrical engineering

Have been active in sports at school and college level. Worked with a NGO for a brief period (1.5 years) during employment. Working in an analytics firm and at client location since a year (London). Have clocked two fast track promotions and managed a team of five people since 2-3 years since joining this company in 2010. I want to go into consulting post MBA and interested in B schools in US and Europe. My main criteria is a non co signer loan.

Wanted to know which schools should i apply to considering my profile and criteria. Do let me know if you need more information around this.

Thanks for your time.

Hey dude,
I DEFINITELY need a LOT more info from you. But you have some very interesting stuff here that set syou apart

1. Real leadership
2. International experience
3. Fast track promotions
4. NGO work

I think these four things should make either Top 20 or top 30 schools your target.

But I still need a LOT more detail about your work experience, your college, your grades, your NGO experience, your promotions and so on.

Feel free to drop a line, and fill me out on all your details: https://admissionado.com/mba/free-consultation/

Or just write me here with some more detail and we can dig deeper,

Best,
JF

Thanks Jon for the prompt response .. just writing it down here so that other people in similar situation might benefit too ..

College - Went to non IIT engineering college (tier 2) of a deemed university to study electrical engineering in 2004 and passed out in 2008 . We don't have a grading system but %ages here. Have got average %age (58) which translates to higher second class (66% is distinction or the highest usually). Did fairly well in first year but due to lack of planning and health reasons grades suffered badly in 2nd year. Started working on improving grades and got distinction in the final year (>66%). Hence, the average score.

Work experience - Got placed from campus with Accenture in 2008 and joined them in technology unit where i was still working on an analytics project. Got fast track promotion in a year and left the company after 1.5 years. Joined the analytics unit of my current employer (NY based nasdaq listed firm which also provides solutions in operations management, BPO) in 2010 and started working as an analyst with a top UK utilites firm. Then got promoted to senior analyst in 15 months and started managing the team since my manager had left and the leadership team thought i would be better suited to lead the overall project. Got my second promotion in 18 months and started working as assistant manager and moved to client's office where i was managing project delivery and helping them to reduce unwanted contacts. After working with the same client since i've joined the firm i have moved on to doing customer pricing strategy work for a top UK bank at their office in London / Northampton where i am working currently.

NGO experience - Joined one of India's biggest organization in the social sector as part of the BIG friend program which is kind of up and running in states and China as well. Was involved in mentoring and providing guidance to under privileged children. Was involved in organizing day fetes and bit of fund raising as well. I spent a year and half with this organization but left due to my re location at client site.

Hope this information helps .. do let me know your thoughts
Thanks

Hey dude,

It helps a lot!
Sooo, I'd say that the Non-IIT plus average marks in college will basically make the top 5 schools or so far stretches (so say H/S/W Sloan, Booth) although if you have a favorite, by all means. what you have written confirms my initial thoughts more or less, and I think that top 20, top 25 schools outside the top few are pretty much your range. You should also include one school outside of this range which you really like as a safe school, and with 5-6 schools on your list (more if you can) you should be good for R1. If you are going for Euro schools, I think you can go for all schools, and maybe only LBS will be real tough, but you should have a shot at the others with a good application.

The evaluation is a bit rough, but I think you should fit somewhere in there...
Best,
JF
Intern
Intern
Send PM
beyondbe wrote:
Hi Akshay,

As said by Jon your profile looks good, and you can apply for Top 20 to 30 Universities. For Selection of Universities you can check the article written by Dr. Sridhar Pappu in topuniversitiesdotcom about

Graduate School Admissions Part 1: Choosing a University
Graduate School Admissions Part 2: Create a Perfect Application Package

or you can view them at (beyond.insofe.edu.in/higher-education-planning-part-1-selecting-your-universities/)
(beyond.insofe.edu.in/higher-education-part-2-putting-together-a-compelling-application-package/)

Thanks .. surely i'll look that up ..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Jon .. just one last thing .. are there any specific schools which have an edge in consulting (curriculum, recruitments) or i should be specifically looking at ...
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
akshaychandna wrote:
Thanks Jon .. just one last thing .. are there any specific schools which have an edge in consulting (curriculum, recruitments) or i should be specifically looking at ...

Not really. All MBA programs prepare you for consulting. It's their vbread and butter.

Buuuuut you can and should look at WHICH consulting firms hire from the schools.. so look at the recruiter lists, which are always of great help.
Moderator:
Admissionado
9216 posts