Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 20:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 21:57
HI All

I am planning to take my gmat June types. However before that wanted to research on the various B schools and the sort of courses they offer to decide what course I should go for and accordingly select my choice of Institutes.

Need your help in case you can share any link or list of courses in various institutes and which courses are these institutes best known for etc. I'm a total beginner so any information shared would be new and helpful for me.

In short, my profile goes like this. I'm a Chartered Accountant with more than 3 years of post qualification experience. Please guide. Thanks a ton.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Re: Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:24
I suggest looking on the school websites. I am planning to go for class visits and info tours on campus pretty soon and planning to pick up a curriculum from each school I visit.

I think more than courses you should look at the broader picture. Who are the faculty, what is the school known for, what partnerships do they have. For example, since I am interested in entrepreneurship, I found out about HBSs FIELD program and Rock Accelerator.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2270

Kudos [?]: 8761 [2] , given: 3666

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 09:50
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
What degree are you looking for? MBA?

I think you first want to figure out what you want to do after the school and what job/industry you want to work at.
If you don't know those answers or can't answer these questions, you can choose schools by rankings instead (but that's a much tougher uphill battle since every school will ask you why mba, why now, why this school)

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2013, 20:59
Give your GMAT with full preparation. If you score more than 720, you should apply to only top 15 programs. Indian, female and a CA all go in your favor. You should then choose the programs based on your goals, which, most likely would be in either finance or consulting. Simplified?

PS: I am assuming you have good work experience, extra curriculars and communication to back it all up. Failing which, 8-15 is your best bet. You will get some scholarship as well. You are right on track.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2013, 19:44
HI Guys

Thanks a lot for replying

As for my goals post MBA, I want to do something in corporate strategy or something which is a mix of Finance and marketing but i do not wish to continue in core finance completely. Probably that is a major reason why I want to do an MBA, to diversify my career and look for more options. I dont know how much sense that makes but thats my reason to start with. Currently im working as a financial and planning analyst since 3 years with big MNC's and also have some extra curricular background.

So, based on your help I can say that I should get the rankings of top MBA schools and go on their websites to find more about the programs they are offering. Preferably I plan to go for a 1 year or 15 months course, then give my gmat with proper prep and see what schools i can apply to. Any more suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot :)
Re: Need help with choice of B schools and Courses they offer   [#permalink] 24 Mar 2013, 19:44