Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 11:20

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 06:22
I am down to UNC and Gtown as my 2 final choices and need some help in choosing one over the other - below are some stats i grabbed from usnews rankings for reference:
UNC:
Full time employed at grad/3months: 60.3%/78.6%
Full time grad 270
Consulting 26 - avg. 105k
finance 67 - avg 90k
Notable recruiters taken from brochure (3+ hire) : amazon, american express, bank of america, barclays, credit suise, cse consulting, deloitte, goldman, IBM, Intel, JPMorgan, Boston consulting group, wells fargo securities
Link to recruiters but 2009 stats
http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/Progra ... ecruit.cfm

GTown:
Full time employed at grad/3months: 58%/88.1%
Full time grad 238
Consulting 46 - avg. 97k
finance 51 - avg 93k
Notable recruiters (hired more than 1): American express, bank of america, Beiersdorf, booz allen, capgemini, citi, deloitte, morgan stanley, pwc,accenture, wells fargo, world bank
http://students.msb.edu/admissions/empl ... rofile.pdf

I have the finance and consulting figures here to show the 2 areas i am interested in but I am more interested in Consulting right now though. Seems Gtown has more grads with jobs post MBA (3 months) than UNC but i think it might be due to the area in DC though? GTown also seems to have more students in consulting and finance in terms of percentage of total full time grads so I am not sure if that means UNC is not ideal for consulting or not? UNC seems to have more company selection in consulting and finance than gtown..

Please help me out :)... thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 524 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 29 Mar 2011, 09:45
Congrats on both schools!

Looking at employment reports is just a first step. Best thing to do is to talk to actual students at these schools -- even contact the adcom or admin to see if they can get you in touch with current students. The numbers may not reflect whether students in one school have a more difficult time than the other school with a certain industry, but could also be a reflection of student interests (i.e. what UNC students want may be different than what Georgetown students want, hence the differences in where they end up working). In the end, talking to current students who are going through the recruiting process at the schools you've gotten into will give you much better info, and yes students for the most part will be straight with you (no school propaganda BS if you're asking them about their own recruiting experiences).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 06:50
hmm after asking a few student reps from both schools it is still mixed... UNC seems to have a better company profile and one student said it is improving this year as well in recruiting etc. GTown is more balanced with even percentages between finance and consulting as opposed to UNC more dominant in finance.

Also, how important is number of students graduating with a career? does one school with less numbers matter ?

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2011, 08:55
Not sure exactly what you're getting at.

Go to the school that you are getting a better feeling for. You can analyze career stats all day, but ultimately it's still about which one you feel better (i.e. trust your instinct, rather than trying to out-think yourself).

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 05:15
AlexMBAApply wrote:
Not sure exactly what you're getting at.

Go to the school that you are getting a better feeling for. You can analyze career stats all day, but ultimately it's still about which one you feel better (i.e. trust your instinct, rather than trying to out-think yourself).

i guess maybe quality vs quantity? UNC has more quality companies but less students graduating towards consulting while gtown has decent companies but more students graduating towards consulting. I do have good feeling for UNC now..

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2011, 09:49
If you're feeling better about UNC, then go to UNC. The fact that you're have a hard time deciding is a sign that either choice will work -- and that it really comes down to a personal decision.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 3

Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown? [#permalink] New post 28 May 2011, 00:14
shaselai wrote:
I am down to UNC and Gtown as my 2 final choices and need some help in choosing one over the other - below are some stats i grabbed from usnews rankings for reference:
UNC:
Full time employed at grad/3months: 60.3%/78.6%
Full time grad 270
Consulting 26 - avg. 105k
finance 67 - avg 90k
Notable recruiters taken from brochure (3+ hire) : amazon, american express, bank of america, barclays, credit suise, cse consulting, deloitte, goldman, IBM, Intel, JPMorgan, Boston consulting group, wells fargo securities
Link to recruiters but 2009 stats
http://www.kenan-flagler.unc.edu/Progra ... ecruit.cfm

GTown:
Full time employed at grad/3months: 58%/88.1%
Full time grad 238
Consulting 46 - avg. 97k
finance 51 - avg 93k
Notable recruiters (hired more than 1): American express, bank of america, Beiersdorf, booz allen, capgemini, citi, deloitte, morgan stanley, pwc,accenture, wells fargo, world bank
http://students.msb.edu/admissions/empl ... rofile.pdf

I have the finance and consulting figures here to show the 2 areas i am interested in but I am more interested in Consulting right now though. Seems Gtown has more grads with jobs post MBA (3 months) than UNC but i think it might be due to the area in DC though? GTown also seems to have more students in consulting and finance in terms of percentage of total full time grads so I am not sure if that means UNC is not ideal for consulting or not? UNC seems to have more company selection in consulting and finance than gtown..

Please help me out :)... thanks!

Stop thinking so much because there is nothing to think. Go to UNC. Period. Data can always be skewed to fit the reasoning.
Re: Need help with choosing a school - UNC or Gtown?   [#permalink] 28 May 2011, 00:14