Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 08:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 04:16
Hello everyone,

I purchased the full 25 Math and 6 Verbal tests from GMAT Club a month ago. Sofar I have done 8 out of them and have noticed a number of things which are greatly confusing me:

1. I have gone through alot of GMAT Prep literature i.e "The Official GMAT Study Guide", Kaplan, and Princeton Review testbooks and more. The difficulty levels of these prep books cannot even compare with the difficulty level of the GMAT Club prep Math tests
I feel really disappointed of spending so much of my time following these books as they did little to increase my knowledge when looking at the challenges.

2 I have done realy poor on the first 4-5 Math tests, not finishing on time, making stupid errors, falling into traps. The latter is no longer such an issue, but my timing still is. When I encounter a problem which I do not know the answer to, I struggle to find it, lose time, mark the wrong answer, get confused and nervous, and continue with my thought not clear. What follows is more nervousness and more dumb mistakes, and less time for the outstanding problems.

3. My exam is scheduled for Oct 2nd. Currently I do not feel prepared, I am stressed, and to be honest I cannot think clearly when I sit in front of a new challenge as I become nervous that I will make stupid errors or not finish on time. I fully review each test after taking it, and when there is no time constraint I am able to work out the problems, when I look at the solutions, I understand them. But the problems that I struggle with on the next test would be different and eventhough I have understood the solutions of the previous tests, there is always something different in the current problems which I forget.

What should I do to get over this nervousness which inhibits my clear thinking. Any advice is welcome. I apologise for the long threat in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 06:09
bump
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2008, 22:26
bump again, please, any advice will be appreciated.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2008, 05:51
I would suggest that you do a GmatPrep exam. That would give you a better idea of where you stand and may help boost your confidence. You will find the challenges are much tougher than GmatPrep. IMO, the challenges are meant to be used over a few months, understanding what areas you are weak in, fixing those before attempting further challenges.
Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 01:55
hsampath wrote:
I would suggest that you do a GmatPrep exam. That would give you a better idea of where you stand and may help boost your confidence. You will find the challenges are much tougher than GmatPrep. IMO, the challenges are meant to be used over a few months, understanding what areas you are weak in, fixing those before attempting further challenges.

Hsampath,

What do you mean by a GMATprep exam, I have done all the prep exams in my prep textbooks and they were much easier than the challenges.

Also I do not have a few months for the challenges as I discovered them in mid August and my exam is October 2nd. Ibeen heavily using and working with th challenges ever since I found them out. I do a challenge, mainly try and understand the concept, and then go over and over it until I understand the problem.

The challenges have become easier as I do the next ones, but I still find problems I have hard time solving.

Am I on the right track, is there any other path to follow?
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2008, 06:55
The GMATPrep exams are a set of 2 that available free to download from mba.com :
http://www.mba.com/mba/TaketheGMAT/Tool ... ftware.htm

This simulates the real exam best (including the user interface) and the scores you get here will be the closest to what you will get on the real exam. You can take it as many times as you wish but beyond twice each exam is not usually recommended since you will start seeing repeat questions.

When you do these tests, do it without interruptions and following the break schedule of the real exam. This will also test your stamina for the 4 hour duration of the test.

With the challenges, looks like you are proceeding in the right direction. If you have any doubts whatsoever to the solution of a problem, ask the forum and be sure to really understand the concepts on the questions.
Re: Need help with GMAT Club Math Challenge   [#permalink] 28 Aug 2008, 06:55