Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '18, Oxford
GPA: 3.09
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2012, 23:43
I'm a non native English speaker.

I just do my try GMATPrep and get 450 (quant36/verbal17)

I want to get 700+. I know it's long way to go. Can you give me some advice regarding GMAT.

PS. I'm a recent grad and won't be pursue MBA in a few years so I have a lot of times to prepare for GMAT.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Pill Representative
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 18 [1] , given: 2

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 06:04
This post received
KUDOS
iVoRy wrote:

I want to get 700+. I know it's long way to go. Can you give me some advice regarding GMAT.

PS. I'm a recent grad and won't be pursue MBA in a few years so I have a lot of times to prepare for GMAT.

Hello there!

I would start by focusing on general English-language ability. At this point, it is far too early to practise GMAT-specific questions. This means that you should try to improve your overall facility with English, while keeping your math skills reasonably sharp. Note that improving your English ability won't just help you deal with the Verbal segment; it can also help you out with Quant, as it makes it easier to understand the problems and lets you process them faster, leaving you more time with which to work.

You should try to read and write in English as much as you can. I understand that this can be difficult in Thailand, but you should try nonetheless. Read English-language books, watch English television (the good stuff, like the news; avoid Jersey Shore) and browse English websites. Immerse yourself in English and try to get as much practice in it as you can.

It'll be a long journey, but you'll eventually get there!

Hi, I'm DonQuixote, a former GMAT Pill student who scored 780. I'm very grateful for this score and have now joined their staff :) My account of my GMAT experience can be found here.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '18, Oxford
GPA: 3.09
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2012, 06:25
MrFong wrote:
iVoRy wrote:

Hello there!

I would start by focusing on general English-language ability. At this point, it is far too early to practise GMAT-specific questions. This means that you should try to improve your overall facility with English, while keeping your math skills reasonably sharp. Note that improving your English ability won't just help you deal with the Verbal segment; it can also help you out with Quant, as it makes it easier to understand the problems and lets you process them faster, leaving you more time with which to work.

You should try to read and write in English as much as you can. I understand that this can be difficult in Thailand, but you should try nonetheless. Read English-language books, watch English television (the good stuff, like the news; avoid Jersey Shore) and browse English websites. Immerse yourself in English and try to get as much practice in it as you can.

It'll be a long journey, but you'll eventually get there!

Thank you Mr Fong.
At first I think my English ability is pretty good. (score a 965/990 in TOEIC exam) But GMAT verbal is a lot tougher. I think I should start by improving my English ability.
It's pretty hard to practice English in Thailand because nobody will be talking English with you and I already browse English websites, Read some English-language books and watch English television (mostly sit-com though) but I guess my weakness is grammar. I can't seem to do well in Sentence Correction. May be I will start with GMAT club grammar book and see how it go.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V42

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2012, 16:29
One suggestion is to read an American newspaper every day. I know MrFong suggested reading American books which are good but I strongly recommend reading American newspaper. They use A LOT of the grammar and style that is tested on the GMAT. This can help you in all 3 parts of Verbal: you will become more familiar with the grammar tested in Sentence Correction, you will be able to read longer passages and remember details which is exactly what Reading Comprehension is, and if you practice being critical of the newspaper articles and analyze the arguments being presented you will be more familiar with Critical Reasoning questions.

If you do this consistently every day it will pay off. It did for me and I'm a native English speaker haha. Give it a try!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 18:53
Those are good suggestions. Mine are along another line... give yourself a date to take the test, and make checkpoints and milestones along the way. It's amazing how fast time flies when you don't have a specific deadline!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 43

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 21:18
Purchase the manhattan gmat test books, and foundations of Gmat Math. They offer a great course online, that's 9 weeks long, but before you sign up, buy the Foundations of Gmat Math book, and go over it, do all the drills, then move to the manhattan gmat books. I bought my set on craigslist for 50.00, latest edition. I would say, try to go over the smallest details and most basic's of math, review the concepts, and take your time to understand the concepts, and the process. This book built my confidence a lot with refreshing my math abilities, and it's great because it tells you step by step on how to solve for a problem, sometimes it provides two or three ways on doing that same problem. Another thing would be to do at least 20 problems each day.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q V
GPA: 3.22
WE: Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 16

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies [#permalink] New post 26 Jun 2012, 23:56
iVoRy wrote:

1. Identify your weaknesses and strengths, not only in terms of the type of questions but also in qualitative things (timing, concentration, comprehension)

2. Make sure to use an error log in all of our practices. Also, if you are already comfortable with the basics, go ahead and time your practice tests.

3. Start reading a CNN, Wall Street Journal, Bloomberg, focus on active reading: "What is the whole point of the article?" "What is the function of this paragraph?"

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
- T. Roosevelt

Re: 450 Need help with GMAT Prep strategies   [#permalink] 26 Jun 2012, 23:56