Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 20:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 12:27
I took GMAT Prep Test #1 after a thorough review of PR Cracking the GMAT as a basic overview of the test, since I have been out of college for a long time.

I need help in interpreting my results and suggestions for improving it.

Here is the results I got (unofficial score at the end of the downloaded CAT).

Overall Score: 680 Target: >720

Math: Raw Score - 44 --> 11/34 Incorrect (#13, 20, 22, 23, 24, 28, 29, 30, 31, 33, 34) and 3 unanswered (ran out of time)!
I was running out of time after #25, so did not use scratch pad (no work), got stuck on #28 and had to do blind guesses for #30 through #34 and
could not answer #35, #36 & #37.
The last five (#29 through #34) were quite simple and I could solve it in less then 45 seconds each during the review.

Verbal: Raw Score - 38 --> 12/41 Incorrect (#2, 11, 12, 14, 15, 19, 21, 22, 25, 28, 32, 41) and finished before the time limit.
The break up of the incorrect answers was: 7 SC, 3 CR and 2 RC. Looks like I need to focus on SC, followed by CR.

I would like some help in interpreting my scores.
How much did I lose on Math because of 3 unanswered questions?
How much damage did the last 5 incorrects (#29 - #34) did?

For Verbal section, how do I interpret the impact of pattern of incorrects on the raw score? I need to get 42 or better!

Any help/suggestions?

-- CDM770234
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 151 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 14:41
CDM770234 it sounds like you're in a good position.

Missing questions really hurts, and so does rushing questions. You should be able to see decent improvement with some time management work.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [1] , given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 20:00
This post received
KUDOS
The number of questions which you answered incorrectly does not impact the raw score as much as the difficulty level of the questions which you answered incorrectly does.

A score of 44 represents the following (strictly my interpretation):
1. The test taker is comfortable with 60% of the tested concepts.
2. The test taker has not adopted good time management practices.

To boost your score to the next level (47 to 48), you need to:
1. Focus on solving problems of different types in order to familiarize oneself with the different ways in which the concepts are tested.
2. Time all future practice questions.

There are detailed articles on timing and other test strategies, please glance through them aswell!

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 18:05
Thanks for the feedback, #jko and #Entwistle.

I noticed that in Math section, I got only 1 problem wrong in the first 19, but got 10 wrong in the next 15!! So, how do I relate this to the raw score of 44? If I had managed my time better and would have had a bit more time to devote to the later questions and done better then 5/15 correct, how much would my score have improved?

Any thoughts?

-- CDM770234
Director
Director
Schools: ISB
WE 1: Engineer - Larsen & Toubro, ECC Division
WE 2: Faculty - T.I.M.E.
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 125 [0], given: 66

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2011, 18:57
Answering 3 or more questions incorrectly in a row impacts the score negatively to a considerable extent.
Your Case:
1 wrong in the 1st 20
and 10 wrong in the next 15
I assume that you took too much time to answer the first 19 questions and thereafter started rushing through the remaining questions. This assumption could explain the drastic fall in accuracy for the last 15 questions.

Overall, you got 11 wrong out of 34 and you missed 3.
If these 11 errors were spread out evenly throughout the test (e.g. one incorrect after every 3 or 4 correct), your score would have increased by 3 points or so. But the difficulty of future questions would have increased as well...

All factors considered, your score would have been 47 :)

Mission: Be a force of good and make a positive difference to every life I touch!

From 650 to 710 to 750 - My Tryst With GMAT [Experience Thread]

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2011, 17:17
Entwistle wrote:
Answering 3 or more questions incorrectly in a row impacts the score negatively to a considerable extent.
Your Case:
1 wrong in the 1st 20
and 10 wrong in the next 15
I assume that you took too much time to answer the first 19 questions and thereafter started rushing through the remaining questions. This assumption could explain the drastic fall in accuracy for the last 15 questions.

Overall, you got 11 wrong out of 34 and you missed 3.
If these 11 errors were spread out evenly throughout the test (e.g. one incorrect after every 3 or 4 correct), your score would have increased by 3 points or so. But the difficulty of future questions would have increased as well...

All factors considered, your score would have been 47 :)

Thanks Entwistle. This gives me an idea about how much I am losing out because I am not able to pace myself correctly.

However, when I practiced with OG12 problems, I was consistently hitting below 2.1 min / question for mid-level difficulty. It seems that just during the CAT, I end up getting stuck at some problems and mess up my timing completely. Tomorrow is my first attempt at real GMAT. I hope I don't screw up my timing.

CDM770234
Re: Need help with interpreting my Practice Test Score   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2011, 17:17