Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Jul 2014, 07:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with retake strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Need help with retake strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 20:25
I have already gone through the retaking strategies and the 650 to 700 threads. My question is in bold. Rest all in unecessary.

I have exhausted all the material mentioned. I have exhausted the GMATprep Docs and Prep tests and the strategy guides.

What I feel did me in were test day jitters.

I clearly remember getting atleast 5-6 Quant questions incorrect, questions that I cracked again at home in 2 minutes. I can't count the number of times I have asked people not to get stuck on one particular question but on the test I remember getting stuck on a question and spending at least 4-5 minutes on that question and I was so nervous because I was running out of time. I finished the test with just 2 seconds to go. Downright stupid!!

Verbal, I am sure I must have gotten most of the CR questions incorrect. Usually my CR accuracy is 90% but the test day had some really weird questions. RC was much easier than I had expected and I saw too many questions in RC. One last RC was on Social Science. I think that was the place where I lost the ball. The 'thought' that I will run out of time and became so jittery that I just couldn't concentrate. I finished the verbal with 2 minutes to spare! Again really ridiculous.

My question:
I have used plausibly the best material available, as per this website. I also re-did the strategy guides and error log till the time I became perfect.

I remember answers to MGMAT and GMATPrep tests, so I cannot retake them.
Any other mock tests that I can take to GAUGE my skill, which I do not FEEL is lacking.

If my skill is not the issue, then I can probably retake without studying anything. But I would want to take 3-4 CATs just to practice.

But if my skill is still low, then I will have to make a different plan altogether.

Also, is there anyway I can get access to Knewton CATs because I don't want to the course, just the CATs. I think Knewton CATs are really good.

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 79 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with retake strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 20:48
I think it was just bad day for you and you will definitely get your target score this time around. However I must say you were doing mistake by retaking gmatprep because you had already solved OG10 and paper pencils tests before (if i remember correctly). Both OG10 and Paper Pencil tests overlap with gmatprep. That meant you were not solving NEW CR questions and virtually went out of touch with solving new questions. For verbal and especially CR you can try LSAT questions . Many test takers say it is not gmat like but I differ. Just leave the formal logic and paralllel reasoning questions and do the remaining ones. Remember LSAT is a standardised test so questions it offers cannot be bad or questionable. DO some RC for improving your timings (og10 aristotle lsat rcs). In maths you can try out jeff sackmann challange sets for improving the timings. Also revise sc rules yet again for keeping it safe.

No you cannot subscribe tests only from knewton as has been said by knewton representative in one thread. You can definitely give verbal sections of tests like Kaplan. I do believe kaplan questions look odd but after reading the explanations doing those questions will only help you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 26

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Need help with retake strategy [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 21:06
Aj85 wrote:
I think it was just bad day for you and you will definitely get your target score this time around. However I must say you were doing mistake by retaking gmatprep because you had already solved OG10 and paper pencils tests before (if i remember correctly). Both OG10 and Paper Pencil tests overlap with gmatprep. That meant you were not solving NEW CR questions and virtually went out of touch with solving new questions. For verbal and especially CR you can try LSAT questions . Many test takers say it is not gmat like but I differ. Just leave the formal logic and paralllel reasoning questions and do the remaining ones. Remember LSAT is a standardised test so questions it offers cannot be bad or questionable. DO some RC for improving your timings (og10 aristotle lsat rcs). In maths you can try out jeff sackmann challange sets for improving the timings. Also revise sc rules yet again for keeping it safe.

No you cannot subscribe tests only from knewton as has been said by knewton representative in one thread. You can definitely give verbal sections of tests like Kaplan. I do believe kaplan questions look odd but after reading the explanations doing those questions will only help you.

Hmm true that

I have already exhausted Jeff Sackmann Extreme Challenge and OG 10 - all timed

I have done some 20 LSAT Papers. That improved my RC big time and CR was very different as you mentioned. But!!! in the test, I somehow felt that CR was very similar to those in LSAT. Perhaps, I can redo GMATPREP CR and work through LSAT CR.

But I do need at least 3 CATs

GMAT done - a mediocre score but I still have a lot of grit in me

The last 20 days of my GMAT journey

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need help with retake strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 02:56
akhileshgupta05 wrote:
Aj85 wrote:

Hmm true that

I have already exhausted Jeff Sackmann Extreme Challenge and OG 10 - all timed

I have done some 20 LSAT Papers. That improved my RC big time and CR was very different as you mentioned. But!!! in the test, I somehow felt that CR was very similar to those in LSAT. Perhaps, I can redo GMATPREP CR and work through LSAT CR.

But I do need at least 3 CATs

I would not recommend doing knewton cats as they only make you feel stressed. There is no clear algorythm and the scores are much lower than your perfomance is.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help with retake strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 08:25
dont the schools put u a bit down if u retake it 2 or 3 times and only get a good score on the last try?
Re: Need help with retake strategy   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2011, 08:25