Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 20:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with SC Strategy

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 16:47
I was trying to solve SC questions from OG12. I got approx 80-90% correct answers while solving the first fifty questions. However, as I am progressing, my success rate is going down steeply. To add, I got only 2/10 correct from 80-90 range. I know that OG12 problems are graded in increasing order of difficulty. Am I the only one who is facing these issues or is it that my basics are not right ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I also tried to solve problems that I answered incorrectly on my first attempt. However, I get majority of them right on my second try. Not sure if I am treading the right path.

BTW, I have already gone through mGMAT SC Guide once. Sometimes I get frustrated and I feel as if I should open the grammar book.

Please help.

Thanks
Voodoo Child
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
avatar
Status: Accepting donations for the mohater MBA fund
Joined: 05 Feb 2008
Posts: 1860
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 412 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 17:24
This is common, as you mentioned, the difficult is in ascending order.

Have you see the SC strategy (see my sig)?

What about the GMAT fiction thread?

Are you keeping an error log? "Right on the second try" is a bad benchmark as you have exposure to the problem and know aspects of what's wrong (something wrong in the option you selected)

There's a reason you're missing the more difficult questions. You must resolve the WHY and the WHAT to move forward.
_________________

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Moderator
Moderator
avatar
Joined: 27 Aug 2010
Posts: 290
Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 21:28
I agree with mohater. Do you make sure that you read the explanations to all the questions.Irrespective of the fact that you get a question correct or not, you should make sure that you go through the explanation diligently. And after reading the explanation, you should have ask yourself, what are the two new things I learnt from this explanation/question. I can guarantee you that you'll be amazed to see that even if the question is easy, you'll definitely have learnt at least two new things on going through the explanations.
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
avatar
Status: Graduated
Affiliations: HEC
Joined: 28 Sep 2009
Posts: 1638
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 86

Kudos [?]: 490 [0], given: 432

Premium Member
Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 00:42
Expert's post
And make sure to incorporate the Manhattan SC guide. Read it at least twice. The other suggestions (error log, fully read all the explanations, etc.) are very, very helpful. In fact, they are essential. And play a very active role in the verbal forums. Answer questions and fully defend your answers with detailed explanations.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 17 Mar 2011
Posts: 453
Location: United States (DC)
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.37
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 153 [0], given: 5

Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 04:57
voodoochild wrote:
I was trying to solve SC questions from OG12. I got approx 80-90% correct answers while solving the first fifty questions. However, as I am progressing, my success rate is going down steeply. To add, I got only 2/10 correct from 80-90 range. I know that OG12 problems are graded in increasing order of difficulty. Am I the only one who is facing these issues or is it that my basics are not right ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I also tried to solve problems that I answered incorrectly on my first attempt. However, I get majority of them right on my second try. Not sure if I am treading the right path.

BTW, I have already gone through mGMAT SC Guide once. Sometimes I get frustrated and I feel as if I should open the grammar book.

Please help.

Thanks
Voodoo Child


This is not uncommon.

If you're fluent in English, the easy problems will be very easy. However once you get into the harder questions, you're required to know the rules, and be able to systematically apply them to the sentences. The questions are phrased that it gets harder and harder to just 'sound out' what the right answer is.

Keep working on the MGMAT guide, and be brutally thorough in reviewing problems you did.

For problems youve already done, go back and write out for each answer choice, EXACTLY why it's wrong. Then compare your reason with the OA.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 05:08
jko wrote:
voodoochild wrote:
I was trying to solve SC questions from OG12. I got approx 80-90% correct answers while solving the first fifty questions. However, as I am progressing, my success rate is going down steeply. To add, I got only 2/10 correct from 80-90 range. I know that OG12 problems are graded in increasing order of difficulty. Am I the only one who is facing these issues or is it that my basics are not right ?

Any tips will be greatly appreciated. I also tried to solve problems that I answered incorrectly on my first attempt. However, I get majority of them right on my second try. Not sure if I am treading the right path.

BTW, I have already gone through mGMAT SC Guide once. Sometimes I get frustrated and I feel as if I should open the grammar book.

Please help.

Thanks
Voodoo Child


This is not uncommon.

If you're fluent in English, the easy problems will be very easy. However once you get into the harder questions, you're required to know the rules, and be able to systematically apply them to the sentences. The questions are phrased that it gets harder and harder to just 'sound out' what the right answer is.

Keep working on the MGMAT guide, and be brutally thorough in reviewing problems you did.

For problems youve already done, go back and write out for each answer choice, EXACTLY why it's wrong. Then compare your reason with the OA.



I think you guys are right. Fluency is not going to help long. I will have to make sure that I diligently study explanations for each of the questions. I re-read MGMAT yesterday and realized that I have forgotten many concepts. I think it's time for me to do some revision.

Thanks
Voodoo Child
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Status: TIME FOR 700+
Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Posts: 206
Schools: Fuqua
WE 1: Research in Neurology
WE 2: MORE research in Neurology
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 55

Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 06:13
Have you tried SC grail from Aristotle prep? It is only 15$ and accompanies MGMAT and OG, very useful
_________________

Back to the grind, goal 700+

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 16 Feb 2011
Posts: 197
Schools: ABCD
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 78

Re: Need help with SC Strategy [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2011, 14:32
Wishbone wrote:
Have you tried SC grail from Aristotle prep? It is only 15$ and accompanies MGMAT and OG, very useful



nope. I am first going through OG 12.

Thanks
Re: Need help with SC Strategy   [#permalink] 26 Mar 2011, 14:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Strategy for SC!!! help needed gmatcracker24 1 26 Aug 2011, 22:28
Test Strategy help needed maheshsrini 2 13 Jun 2010, 06:28
Need help for the plan and strategy Isabella2009 1 15 Apr 2009, 00:16
Application Strategy - Help needed Maverick82 6 16 Jan 2008, 18:24
Help ! Need strategy for Verbal sachinh 1 25 Nov 2005, 18:12
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Need help with SC Strategy

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: bagdbmba, WaterFlowsUp



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.