Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Oct 2014, 20:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need help with some career choices/goals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
need help with some career choices/goals [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:27
I am still trying to figure out my long term career post MBA and would like some advice. I have a tech background so it is probably not smart to do a full career switch into pure finance. I am interested in project management and also business analyst but are those considered "long term" though? I definitely want to do a hybrid finance and IT so I just dont outright "waste" my tech degrees. Any suggestion on other careers are helpful, thanks!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 0

Re: need help with some career choices/goals [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
Don't overthink it.

If you are asking about what to write for the essays, it's not about how imaginative your goals are, but how sincere they are -- does it sound like bullsh*t, or does it sound like something you genuinely want to pursue? The more contrived and convoluted it is in your mind, the more likely it will come across as contrived and convoluted in your writing. The more authentic and honest it is in your mind (even if it is highly ambitious or even "unrealistic" in some cases), the more likely it will come across as authentic and honest in your writing (so long as you don't get in your own way and just write what you genuinely feel). Ten people could write about the exact same thing -- but five of them will sound believable, and the other five will not -- and that comes down to how you write it, more than what you write.

There's only so many "career goals" out there that the adcoms have heard thousands of times - it's not about how original or unique those goals are, but how original and unique YOU are in describing what you want.

Alex Chu
alex@mbaapply.com
http://www.mbaapply.com
Follow me on Facebook

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 202 [0], given: 52

Reviews Badge
Re: need help with some career choices/goals [#permalink] New post 25 May 2010, 09:31
Would something like the following be a decent goal? It is honest but not sure how adcom sees it....

I always had a passion for gaming and had a goal working for a gaming company. This led to me and a couple of friends in developing a game and possibly creating a startup company if the product does well. With the MBA I am hoping I could gain entry into game companies' marketing department and in the long term goal I could be a consultant for startup gaming companies.

Also, i know my goal might be a bit of a niche but do AdCom care about it? Would they see it as me making up a story and then just go for whatever occupation after MBA?

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: need help with some career choices/goals   [#permalink] 25 May 2010, 09:31