Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 18:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with strategy

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Sloan '13
GMAT Date: 08-10-2013
GPA: 3.53
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2013, 08:18
Ok,

So I have taken 3 MGMAT tests so far and my exam is Aug 24.
MGMAT 1: 640 Q:44 V:33
MGMAT 2: 580 Q:40 V:30
MGMAT 3: 580 Q:46 V:24 (today)

I need help, I am trying to get above 740 as my goal and I am just getting frustrated. I have been practicing math for the last week, so I guess I can attribute some of my quant success to that but my verbal is just so terrible! Now for the analysis: I looked at my score reports and questions, my best area in verbal is Reading Comprehension. My worst areas are SC and RC both being about the same percentage wrong. I have also rushed in both Quant and Verbal for the last 5 questions so I almost always end up getting those wrong. I am just lost at this point because according MGMAT most of the questions on average that I am getting right and wrong are in the 700 - 740 range for quant and 660 - 700 range for verbal.

Does anyone have any suggestions to improve my score?

Thanks
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 08:08
Are you keeping an error log?

I suggest reading the timing strategy thread:
timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 12:16
Well, I have been keeping an error log in that I have all of my questions that I have answered through MGMAT/OG/etc. in a binder.

For the tests I mentioned above, I have done an analysis similar to: http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... ice-tests/

I kinda knew the problem areas highlighted before I went into the analysis, but I am still messing up. I am not sure what the problem is exactly, when you go back over a question and analyze a problem is there a checklist that you go over? For example, I found my weakest areas in SC were Pronouns/Verbs/Meaning/Comparisons. I have been trying to figure out why I got these problems wrong, but the funny thing is that I can answer them right when I go over the questions individually, most of them anyway; I feel my biggest problem is putting the whole test together? If that makes sense.
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 55

Kudos [?]: 411 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 13:41
This is what the error log is supposed to do.

The error log isn't simply a tracker right/wrong answers, it's to help you learn the WHY aspect of answering problems incorrectly.

Sounds like a timing issue and being under pressure in the test environment. Have you read our timing strategy thread?

timing-strategies-on-the-gmat-80176.html

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 15:28
Ok, I understand your comment about the error log but, unfortunately, I haven't been as diligent in my tracking as you had prescribed.

Also, I read the timing strategy thread right now, and I will try and incorporate the timing strategy in my next practice test.

What would you recommend I do to meet my goal for Aug 24?
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2013, 20:09
Expert's post
Don't be lost! That does nothing but waste mental and physical energy. The best way to improvement is by finding a few small wins to get the ball moving in the right direction. Two immediate thoughts:

1. At this stage, it's easy to get caught up in a lot of the data that's available, but you need to focus on the things that truly 'matter' the most to get you to your target score. One of those things to forget -- the average score of the questions you've been working on. Why? Because that's not something you can directly influence/improve without making other changes first. It's more of a 'dependent' variable. Not that it is unimportant -- it's just not the thing you need to focus on.

2. Timing and leaving questions unanswered/rushing. This needs to be fixed/addressed, because it's such a huge opportunity to make real improvement on your exam. Encourage you to take a look at this great article on our website -- http://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... nt-part-1/
-- really provides some compelling thoughts and tips on how to address this issue.

Lastly, try to stay positive -- and make up a plan that allows you to feel and experience forward progress every day. It's important!

Best of luck.

-Brian

Brian Lange | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | North Carolina

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern

Re: Need help with strategy [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2013, 03:51
Thanks for the help Brian, I will definately try and incorporate a timing strategy on my next practice exam.
Re: Need help with strategy   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2013, 03:51