Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [52]
Given Kudos: 184
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [6]
Given Kudos: 178
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: When the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) pandemic occurred in [#permalink]
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
sandeepmanocha wrote:
#64. When the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) pandemic occurred in late 2002, officials feared that the outbreak would widespread; they were concerned that the virus would become a global threat and it would kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.

(A) it would kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.
(B) it would kill vast numbers of patients with no protection against it.
(C) kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.
(D) kill vast numbers of patients who have no protection against them.
(E) kill vast numbers of patients with no protection against them.

I need help to understand that -
Why the Official Answer is right and why not other?

A) we can't say on which noun refer first and second it on the virus or threat. Incorrect
B) we can't say on which noun refer first and second it on the virus or threat. Incorrect
C) correct
D) we can't say on which noun refer them because we don't have any subjects in plural (except patients but this create nonsesical meaning). Incorrect
E) we can't say on which noun refer them because we don't have any subjects in plural (except patients but this create nonsesical meaning). Incorrect

I have a doubt here, why do you think that 'it' can refer to threat. Can threat kill somebody, only virus can kill someone.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [1]
Send PM
Re: When the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) pandemic occurred in [#permalink]
Kudos
viksingh15 wrote:
Harley1980 wrote:
sandeepmanocha wrote:
#64. When the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) pandemic occurred in late 2002, officials feared that the outbreak would widespread; they were concerned that the virus would become a global threat and it would kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.

(A) it would kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.

A) we can't say on which noun refer first and second it on the virus or threat. Incorrect
B) we can't say on which noun refer first and second it on the virus or threat. Incorrect
C) correct
D) we can't say on which noun refer them because we don't have any subjects in plural (except patients but this create nonsesical meaning). Incorrect
E) we can't say on which noun refer them because we don't have any subjects in plural (except patients but this create nonsesical meaning). Incorrect

I have a doubt here, why do you think that 'it' can refer to threat. Can threat kill somebody, only virus can kill someone.

Nice reprimand I didn't pay attention on this.

I'm not completely sure but I think there is uncertain situation: virus would become (and in this uncertain situation we should use would)
but if this situation became true, the virus will definitely kill vast numbers of patients (and we shouldn't use would to emphasize certainty of this deadly outcome)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Why the Official Answer is right and why not other?[/quote]

C) correct
E) we can't say on which noun refer them because we don't have any subjects in plural (except patients but this create nonsesical meaning). Incorrect[/quote]

I have a doubt here, why do you think that 'it' can refer to threat. Can threat kill somebody, only virus can kill someone.[/quote]

Nice reprimand I didn't pay attention on this.

I'm not completely sure but I think there is uncertain situation: virus would become (and in this uncertain situation we should use would)
but if this situation became true, the virus will definitely kill vast numbers of patients (and we shouldn't use would to emphasize certainty of this deadly outcome)[/quote]

Just to add more in option "C", we have "it" in the end, that can also refer to virus/threat. As per your explanation. right. ?

Only reason I am inclined towards C is it is not wordier.

we can infer C like this => that the virus would <become a global threat > and <kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it >

I may be wrong :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 6341 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
viksingh15 wrote:
Just to add more in option "C", we have "it" in the end, that can also refer to virus/threat. As per your explanation. right. ?

we can infer C like this => that the virus would <become a global threat > and <kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it >

No, because in variant C we have subject virus which have two verbs: would become and kill
And threat is not subject, so it refer to virus.

IMHO. Maybe I wrong too ;)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Harley1980 wrote:
viksingh15 wrote:

No, because in variant C we have subject virus which have two verbs: would become and kill
And threat is not subject, so it refer to virus.

IMHO. Maybe I wrong too ;)

Thanks Harley and VikSingh for adding more clarity on this, and after looking at your comments I can see the statement much better than before. Yet I have some confusion regarding the structure and use of “it”, and the reasoning behind the correct answer (C), but not (B).

(C)
Once Outside
Subject Virus (Branch A implicit subject virus and Branch B implicit subject virus)

the virus would
become a global threat
and
kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it

In this case last “it” must be referring to “virus", implicit subject of clause after “and"

(B)
Twice Inside
Subject Virus (Branch A with “virus" and Branch B with “it” )

the virus would
become a global threat
and
it would kill vast numbers of patients with no protection against it.

Now if I go by this, they booth seems grammatically correct, to me, but option C is concise and clear.
To the point that “it” after “and” in this option does not have a clear antecedent is confusing for me. Although if I do not think about the parallel structure then it seems obvious that “it” does not have clear antecedent.

Please can you help me to understand, what I need to consider more to look at this strutter to make the the meaning / answer choice crystal clear.

Thanks
Sandeep
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
C is correct. "It" refers to the virus.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
Although if I do not think about the parallel structure then it seems obvious that “it” does not have clear antecedent.

Pronoun ambiguity is NOT a rule in the GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [1]
Given Kudos: 18
Rudey: RD
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31
GMAT 2: 640 Q46 V31
GPA: 3.29
WE:Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Kudos
I incorrectly chose D, should have checked them refers to not just Virus's! ;) Good Question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:
Although if I do not think about the parallel structure then it seems obvious that “it” does not have clear antecedent.

Why is (D) incorrect?

Thanks
Sandeep
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sandeepmanocha wrote:
souvik101990 wrote:
Quote:

Why is (D) incorrect?

Thanks
Sandeep

'them' does not have an antecedent.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V33
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
sandeepmanocha wrote:

Hi folks,

Before I shoot my question, pl. read the statement that I picked from WSJ...
Spanish police on Monday said a teenager had allegedly killed a teacher in Barcelona with a crossbow and wounded four others - Here "with a crossbow" answers how did the teenager kill the teacher .... by using a crossbow.... hence, here the prepositional phrase "with a crossbow" modifies the verb killed. (or is there a ambiguity in the meaning and it means that teacher who was having a crossbow was killed by a student?)

Now, on similar lines can someone suggest me what is the diff. between:-
1) kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it. and,
2) kill vast numbers of patients with no protection against it.

Is there any meaning diff.? does 2nd statement suggests that how virus is going to kill patients? by using no protection....or does the prepositional phrase modifies people suggesting that they don't have any protection against the virus.

Thanks and Regards,

R
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Quote:
When the SARS (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) pandemic occurred in late 2002, officials feared that the outbreak would widespread; they were concerned that the virus would become a global threat and it would kill vast numbers of patients who would have no protection against it.

we can eliminate D and E since they use them to refer virus.
with no protection does not modify patients as additional information without a comma in between them and

Noun modifiers are often introduced by Relative Pronouns such as the following:
Which That Who Whose Whom Where When
Such modifiers are called Relative Pronouns. Relative pronouns are subject to several restrictions.
The pronouns who and whom must modify people.
the pronoun which must modify things
that cannot modify people
whose can modify either people or things,
Thus B is wrong since we use with to modify patients.

I read in solution that for A to be correct that needs to be placed before it. since it is not present A is wrong.
Can someone explain that scenario for me and also explain why C is correct?

Originally posted by Nevernevergiveup on 19 Sep 2015, 06:36.
Last edited by Nevernevergiveup on 19 Sep 2015, 08:49, edited 2 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mechmeera

Quote:
with no protection does not define patients without a common in between them and persons always play antecedent role to relative pronouns (he,she,who,whom,those,them,whose etc).
Thus B is eliminated.

Can you pl explain what you were trying to convey in your version? What is the ‘common’ required in between them? Did you mean a ‘comma’? Do u mean there should be a comma before’with”? Can you kindly clarify? I did not also get what you meant by “persons play antecedent role to relative pronouns. (he,she,who,whom,those,them,whose etc)"

As far as I know, common relative pronouns are ---: that, which, who, whom whose etc---;
And then there are personal pronouns of two kinds as follows.1 Subject pronouns (I, You, He, She, It, They, We); they replace the subject in the sentence.; 2. Object pronouns (Me, You, Him, Her, It, Us, Them); they take the place of the object in the sentence.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
One reason why the prepositional modifier ‘with no protection against it' gives a feeling that there is a sect of people who exist with protection as compared to people who have no such protection and the SARS will kill that sect of people who have no protection.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
daagh wrote:
Mechmeera

Quote:
with no protection does not define patients without a common in between them and persons always play antecedent role to relative pronouns (he,she,who,whom,those,them,whose etc).
Thus B is eliminated.

Can you pl explain what you were trying to convey in your version? What is the ‘common’ required in between them? Did you mean a ‘comma’? Do u mean there should be a comma before’with”? Can you kindly clarify? I did not also get what you meant by “persons play antecedent role to relative pronouns. (he,she,who,whom,those,them,whose etc)"

As far as I know, common relative pronouns are ---: that, which, who, whom whose etc---;
And then there are personal pronouns of two kinds as follows.1 Subject pronouns (I, You, He, She, It, They, We); they replace the subject in the sentence.; 2. Object pronouns (Me, You, Him, Her, It, Us, Them); they take the place of the object in the sentence.

I edited the context.
due to typo error I typed common instead of comma.
I hope u understand the text now since I picked the info I wanted to explain from the source.
I hope this helps?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Mechmeera’
I understand the typo error: it is not an issue at all. All I want to know is whether Veritas is saying that B is rejected because it does not have a comma between patients and with; In other words, if choice B were
Quote:
B) it would kill vast numbers of patients, with no protection against it.

then, will B be the correct choice? Can you kindly give the verbatim OE of from the source as far as B is concerned.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 190 [1]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
Mechmeera’
I understand the typo error: it is not an issue at all. All I want to know is whether Veritas is saying that B is rejected because it does not have a comma between patients and with; In other words, if choice B were
Quote:
B) it would kill vast numbers of patients, with no protection against it.

then, will B be the correct choice? Can you kindly give the verbatim OE of from the source as far as B is concerned.

Hi daagh

Why is option B incorrect. And what's the issue with this construction "patients with no protection against it" .

Thanks in advance.

Regards
SR
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts