Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 16:05
To All,

I am targeting 650 and my verbal is killing me , normally around V22 (I know ,terrible!!!) , in the Quant part I feel confident as my score normally in all Prep Test (KAPLAN, MGMAT, etc.. ) and 3 times in the actual test was Q47. Yes, this is my 4th attempt and I will like to apply to BS before year end for Feb 2012 entry.

Any books? experience , a way to improve verbal in 2 weeks? I am not an English Native speaker and I think this is damiging a lot particularly my RC section.

Already went to Kaplan onsite course and I did not find it very useful for the Verbal. Also bought GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible and SC MGMAT book following recomendations in the forum

I am quite desperate as I have been preparing GMAT for about 5 months and although I have noticed some improvement in my verbal in the MGMAT and GMAT Prep 1 exam (V31 - Total Score 640), OG's , just did the GMAT Prep 2 and back to reality V21.
Thanks you very much!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 09-17-2011
GPA: 3.22
WE: Underwriter (Insurance)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 17:02
hi,
just my 2 cents, try to narrow down your mistakes after the tests, are you using the error log? is it just the RC?
Kaplan verbal guide is quite good to go over in 2 weeks. I personally started with V20 and went back did the MGMT SC book all over again and I was at V29 and I am still horrible in RC sadly! I think the only way to improve in RC is to do enough of them, so I decided to do 10-15 RC questions (not passages) daily, and not just do them but actually understand the passages, and when I come across a passage that I think is written by someone whose sole purpose in life was to make GMAT test takers miserable I attack it with vengeance! and believe me I get most if not all qs right! (I know I am a lil nut case)

it could be nerves, you are scoring V30s,may be in you last GMAT prep you got a hard RC or something,
hope this helps, All the best!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Aidha
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 620 Q49 V27
GMAT 3: 700 Q49 V36
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 43

Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 18:33
roman100 wrote:
To All,

I am targeting 650 and my verbal is killing me , normally around V22 (I know ,terrible!!!) , in the Quant part I feel confident as my score normally in all Prep Test (KAPLAN, MGMAT, etc.. ) and 3 times in the actual test was Q47. Yes, this is my 4th attempt and I will like to apply to BS before year end for Feb 2012 entry.

Any books? experience , a way to improve verbal in 2 weeks? I am not an English Native speaker and I think this is damiging a lot particularly my RC section.

Already went to Kaplan onsite course and I did not find it very useful for the Verbal. Also bought GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible and SC MGMAT book following recomendations in the forum

I am quite desperate as I have been preparing GMAT for about 5 months and although I have noticed some improvement in my verbal in the MGMAT and GMAT Prep 1 exam (V31 - Total Score 640), OG's , just did the GMAT Prep 2 and back to reality V21.
Thanks you very much!!

Hi Roman100,

The first step is identifying your weakness : How well are you doing in all the sections and sub sections? Is RC only the actual issue or you are doing only average in SC and CR as well. From my personal experience, it looks like RC is weakest because if we get one passage wrong we get 4 questions wrong and we assume that RC is the weakest part and ignore other sections. Please check your CR and SC also. What kind of mistakes you do on them. Is there a particular pattern of mistakes (for example, say SC overall is fine but may be modifiers never work for you)? Same goes for CR also. Also check for consistency. Is your performance while practising consistent or you have some good days and then some bad days. If its the later case, then I would say that the fundamentals are weak and the inconsistency is because of the luck that day.

Second step is to work on the weaknesses: Once you have identified your pain areas, work towards them. the best method is to practice. I am also a non native speaker and I improved by practising so much that it became my reflexes. For example, you want to improve SC, do 100 questions in a row daily and then analyse each question with more focus on the ones you got wrong. Believe me, if you do so you will be able to point errors even in sleep. People like me and you need to understand that since we are not native speakers, we need to practice more and work harder than those who are natural. For RC, invest in RC 99. Its a wonderful compilation of GMAT like RC passages according to difficulty level. Do atleast 3-4 passages a day. Don't worry about time for the first few passages. just try to understand the passage and get the questions right. Once you have done that, do the same in timed conditions. For CR, I practice from LSAT papers as it makes me understand the concepts very well. You can choose the practise questions from where ever you want. Gmatclub itself is a good source.

Third step is measure your improvements: I firmly believe in quantifiable performance. After the two steps you should be able to quantify your performance. You should have either eliminated your weakness areas or have minimised them to say 5% error or 10% error scope. Now you should do mock CAT to see where do you really stand.

Fourth and final step: Go for the KILL!!!

All the best!!

If my post did a dance in your mind, send me the steps through kudos :)

My MBA journey at http://mbadilemma.wordpress.com/

Schools: Tepper, McCombs, Kelley, Darden, Andersen
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 35

Premium Member
Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 20:15
If you have just two weeks to go,I'd highly recommend Aristotle SC Grail. It's a very concise book and it'd help make SC easier for you,plus it now comes with a questionbank of 100 SC questions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 21:04
Try KAPLAN verbal workbook. That's helpful as well.

Cheers!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2011, 23:37
Hey,

MGMAT SC is an amazing book to refer. Prior covering concepts in MGMAT SC my score was around 21 and after it jumped to 31. Grail is another piece to improve SC.

For CR use Power score's CR Bible. For RC reading and understanding is the key and everyone has their own strategy.

Wish you luck !!

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Re: Need help with Verbal Section-Current Score V22 - Horrible   [#permalink] 21 Oct 2011, 23:37