Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Take a class, gsrgirlie. It should be an Algebra 2 class, as was suggested to you, or pre-calculus, which will cover a lot of the same material. Speaking for myself, I am convinced that's what made the difference in my quant score. No amount of "tricks" etc. that you can learn will substitute for you being comfortable with the material in general. Honestly, relax. Business schools are not going to close up shop in the next year. Take the time to set yourself up to have a better shot at the exam, and by association, your applications. I think you will be much happier with the result.
Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 317 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Do not give up!!!!!

What is your goal? You want to get into a top school? If so, I don't know anyone that got in with 45% in quant. Even if you do, you will get killed in Grad School without math fundamentals. I assume, you want to go to Grad School to learn not to have a hard time.

But are you sure the problem is your math skills? or is the GMAT way to test math concepts? Make a self assessment and take action to solve your problem. I know you must be frustrated by now. I also I experienced the same situation a few years ago.

I believe it is good to set a date to re-take the test but make it a realistic date. The fact is that you will not improve your math skills in one month unless you find what your problem is and spend a lot of time EVERY DAY improving your skills. Do not be discouraged!!!!! You can do it but you need to be smart abou it. Good luck!!!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Positive soul would perhaps not present his amazing story by himself, so let me suggest it : https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=35919

:)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Positive Soul's is arguably the best one here....

But I'll post my own, cause im proud of it.

https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/t30030
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would recommend to keep your notepad neat so you can keep track of your Q problems. The GMAT tests your ability to juggle multiple step math problems. I had a tendency to make many careless mistakes, on math problems that I'm capable of solving. Plug in the wrong answers, and MAKE SURE they are wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
you can do it [#permalink]
I think when I took my first diagnostic without any math review...I was shocked at how many "easy" quant ques I got wrong. So I purchased the Kaplan GMAT Math workbook and worked through each question until I understood each concept, then worked thru the Kaplan Premier math ques, then the OG Math overview and my score has improved tremendously. THE KEY is to not move on to the next question until you FULLY understand how to solve a problem - drives you nuts sometimes but you gotta do it. There are many ways to solve a problem, just find one that works for you.

I've started creating flash cards that have the basics, cuz they're so easy to forget.

You'd be surprised how reviewing basic arithmetic can raise your score...you need to focus on fundamentals, then move on to algebra, then geometry. Good luck!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not the right person to give you advice here as my weakest point was the verbal, and I'm not into any B-school - hopefully yet. However, I will try to point out somethings that I've noticed during my process.

Q can be tough even for math background guys, don't try to solve it as we are used to, that's one of the GMAT's secret, back solving for instance, is as important as knowing that 1 + 1 equals 2.

Although in my last GMAT, I was stubborn and lost almost 5 min trying to solve a question, just don't do that - I know, how hypocrite am I? - if you loose more than 4 min, just guess and move on, it's better to guess and solve all questions, than later finish the test with unsolved questions.

More on guessing: try to guess right, many questions on the GMAT Q is about have the idea of the right approach, you do not need to solve until the end when the questions is that kind of: "which of the following is the least?", try to just eliminate the most obvious, because if you loose more than 4 minutes you will increase your probability of guessing right.

Practice: practice leads to perfection, off course we're not seeking 800, but the more you practice the best you can do. Avoid studying Verbal if V is your strong point, almost naturally one goes for one's strongest point, but just do that practice your weak point. My last GMAT time I studied "almost exclusively" the V part, IT SUCKED BIG TIME, but hey that's the point, we're fighting our weaknesses, right?

Finally, always believe - it's like Impossible is nothing :lol: - you have many histories here from people who did. Stay calm, focus, practice and be positive.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37309 posts