Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:11

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need more practice material for CR

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 10:57
I've done all the CR questions in OG 11, OG Verbal, Kaplan Premiere and Kaplan 800 many many times now that I can remember the answers. Can anybody advise me any other good source of practice for CR?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
GMAT Forum Moderator
Schools: Wharton Class of 2011
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 11:01
There's not a plenty of them left... The only sources outside your list would be GMATPrep, GMAT Paper Tests and Power Prep. Paper tests are excellent resources for Verbal.

Don't use Kaplan for Verbal, especially for CR.

My GMAT experience
My retake experience - GMAT dropped from 720 to 690 - advice for retakers
My TOEFL experience - 108

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2157

Kudos [?]: 7574 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 12:11
Expert's post
gotomba wrote:
I've done all the CR questions in OG 11, OG Verbal, Kaplan Premiere and Kaplan 800 many many times now that I can remember the answers. Can anybody advise me any other good source of practice for CR?

You can also take a look at PowerScore CR - it is a very very helpful book. Manhattan CR will not be useful to you since it uses OG 11 or OG 12 as examples.

I would not recommend PR 1012 very much for CR's but you may want to give it a shot too if nothing else works.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

VP
VP
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 15:51
So why did PR wake up one night and thought they would write 1012 Questions in a book for 20USD? They are late to the game.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 15:59
If you want to absolutely destroy your CR, get Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (LSAT). That will definitely prep you!
GMAT Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2009, 16:30
Powerscore CR Bible is going to help you only if you have some problems with CR. For someone who already has decent hit ratio on CR this book would just be "too much", or simply waste of time. It is a good book, no doubt about it, but is often unnecessarily detailed and tends to overexplain even some basic stuff.

I tried this book, but after reading first 2 or 3 chapters just concluded I hadn't needed it in the first place. Initialy, I had some issues with CR probably due to extensive use of Kaplan. However, I managed to improve my CR hit ratio to almost 100% just on one reading of OG11.

I think that OG11 with Verbal suplement will be more than enough for mastering CR. But, if that doesn't help, Powerscore CR bible is right choice.

My GMAT experience

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 03:03
Thanks everyone!

I have a few questions..

What's Power Prep? Is that the GRE PowerPrep?

How is Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (LSAT) different from the PowerScore CR Bible (GMAT)? Does the LSAT one have practice questions? I read the CR Bible for GMAT and that book doesn't have many practice questions.

I actually read the PowerScore CR Bible (GMAT) twice already and I also made my own notes after reading the book, but I don't seem to get the questions right. I do learn a few good tips like the assumption negation, but I don't think I'm fully applying the tips mentioned in the book like making sure if the answer is a "shell game". Or should I be doing a deep dive on each question like that?

People say that you can improve by doing more practice but I'm running out of questions now and I can remember all the answers of the questions I worked on. :cry:

Any other ideas on how to improve CR? Do you think the Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (LSAT) book would help?

Pathfinder, you mentioned your CR hit ratio was improved after reading the OG, are you talking about the 2 pages in OG11 (Sections 8.1 - 8.3)? I don't see any other reading material about CR in the book.
GMAT Forum Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 04:05
Power Prep is the older version of official mock tests for GMAT. As far as I remember, it used to come on CD alongside Official Guide, back in 2001 or 2002. I still have original CD with two Power Prep tests, fellow of mine gave me that CD couple of years ago. Power Prep was in the game while ETS was the official provider of GMAT. Once Paerson Vue took over the test - GMAT Prep came into the light. Basicly, these things are almost same - you can reffer to Power Prep simply as an older version of GMAT Prep.

Quote:
How is Powerscore Logical Reasoning Bible (LSAT) different from the PowerScore CR Bible (GMAT)? Does the LSAT one have practice questions? I read the CR Bible for GMAT and that book doesn't have many practice questions.

Hmmm, for this one we should have some ninja warrior who has done both books :) I don't know the difference, I was using just LSAT book. That book is detailed and thorough, but doesn't offer practice material almost at all. Just dry theory and explanations, explanations and little more explanations. Boring and tedious for someone who is nearly proficient in CR but probably very useful for another one struggling with the same subject.

Quote:
Pathfinder, you mentioned your CR hit ratio was improved after reading the OG, are you talking about the 2 pages in OG11 (Sections 8.1 - 8.3)? I don't see any other reading material about CR in the book.

No, I meant on CR questions in OG11. After covering them and after reading couple of explanations here and in MGMAT forum, I haven't any problem with CR any more. I haven't even read those two pages that should have been some kind of CR introduction in OG. That is my point - ton of practice is usually enough for CR, that way you'll be able to capture the logic of test makers.

My GMAT experience

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2157

Kudos [?]: 7574 [0], given: 3623

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 12:58
Expert's post
You can get both PowerPrep and GMATPrep here: download PowerPrep

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 57 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: need more practice material for CR [#permalink] New post 21 Jun 2009, 21:15
How about 1000 series CR? If you do a search you can find a .doc file with 1000 (real?) CR questions. I don't know if they are real or good quality since I haven't looked at them yet, but it's an extra source of practice. Also note that these don't come with answer explanations. They come with answers, but no explanations. I suppose you can post on the forum if you have questions on specific ones.
Re: need more practice material for CR   [#permalink] 21 Jun 2009, 21:15