Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Dec 2014, 06:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need motivational advice please!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 03:45
Hi everyone,

I am really struggling to find the motivation to get back into study-mode. I first decided that I wanted to go to b-school in May of this year, after attending an INSEAD event in my hometown. So after doing some research online and understanding what the GMAT is about, I realized that my main problem area would be math. So I bought a basic mathbook and spent the summer going over it, and then started an online prep-course in the beginning of August. Only then did I realize just how weak my math skills are. But I kept working at it, and after getting through the prep course and doing countless problems in the prep-books, I took a practice exam and scored way below what I need: 500 total - 20Q and 35V.

I had been studying after work from 5pm - 10pm nearly every day + nearly every weekend for about 2 months. I pretty much bailed on my social life to focus on GMAT, I wasn't really focusing much at work and I wasn't sleeping well or exercising.. But I felt that it would be worth a couple of months of hard work if I could get at least close to my dream score (650-700).

But then when I saw my quant score of 22, I realized just how much more work I had in front of me. I didn't dissolve into tears, but it really hit me just how much more effort I would need to put into this process. So I took some time off to have some fun, exercise and relax. But now it has been 4 weeks and I am still totally unmotivated to get back to studying. I am just so BORED of math! I did have some progress every day I studied, but it is in baby-steps and it is just so boring to pore over these basic math books instead of working on actual GMAT problems. I have considered hiring a tutor which would force me to study, but I can't find anything in my country, only online prep courses... I do really want to go to b-school, but this GMAT process really sucks :(

I would really appreciate any advice on how you all kept your motivation up, got back into a good study routine, beat your own weak areas, etc. Sorry for the long rant here, I hope someone out there can relate :)

Thanks everyone!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 383 [0], given: 23

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 04:34
christinalund01 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am really struggling to find the motivation to get back into study-mode. I first decided that I wanted to go to b-school in May of this year, after attending an INSEAD event in my hometown. So after doing some research online and understanding what the GMAT is about, I realized that my main problem area would be math. So I bought a basic mathbook and spent the summer going over it, and then started an online prep-course in the beginning of August. Only then did I realize just how weak my math skills are. But I kept working at it, and after getting through the prep course and doing countless problems in the prep-books, I took a practice exam and scored way below what I need: 500 total - 20Q and 35V.

I had been studying after work from 5pm - 10pm nearly every day + nearly every weekend for about 2 months. I pretty much bailed on my social life to focus on GMAT, I wasn't really focusing much at work and I wasn't sleeping well or exercising.. But I felt that it would be worth a couple of months of hard work if I could get at least close to my dream score (650-700).

But then when I saw my quant score of 22, I realized just how much more work I had in front of me. I didn't dissolve into tears, but it really hit me just how much more effort I would need to put into this process. So I took some time off to have some fun, exercise and relax. But now it has been 4 weeks and I am still totally unmotivated to get back to studying. I am just so BORED of math! I did have some progress every day I studied, but it is in baby-steps and it is just so boring to pore over these basic math books instead of working on actual GMAT problems. I have considered hiring a tutor which would force me to study, but I can't find anything in my country, only online prep courses... I do really want to go to b-school, but this GMAT process really sucks :(

I would really appreciate any advice on how you all kept your motivation up, got back into a good study routine, beat your own weak areas, etc. Sorry for the long rant here, I hope someone out there can relate :)

Thanks everyone!

Hey,
I dont think you need to be discouraged. All you need is focus and a strong will.
I think you should go through this debrief by positivesoul, who probably turned many souls positive :-D.
This guy first scored 420 and later went on to get into wharton and other elite colleges.

When you are down and out something like this can revive you.
from-420-to-700-it-is-good-to-be-part-of-the-700-club-35919.html

Hope it helps. Good luck!

Lets Kudos!!! ;-)
Black Friday Debrief

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.48
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 18

Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2012, 12:24
I'm in the same boat. Was studying for a retake continuously for about 11 weeks. About two weeks ago started feeling burnt out and decided I needed a break. I am now picking up the study materials again and am slowly gaining motivation. After going through a few practice problems I feel the fire igniting again.

If you're getting bored learning concepts, try doing some practice problems. Although the process of learning the basics before attempting problems is often recommended, it does not mean the process is the best method for everyone. Perhaps attempting a few practice problems will help get your motivation to learn the basics going again (this was true in my case).

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 03:59
Thanks for the advice guys, I appreciate the input!! And I actually got up early today and did some math before work. Maybe I'll do some verbal to get back into the game and build up my confidence again :)
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 63

Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:11
You need a strong foundations for quant. you could try these free video solutions from OG, quant review etc

http://www.gmatquantum.com/

The explanations are very good haven't tried his course but from the explanations provided I'm sure it would be very good.

This story might help you

sometimes-quant-can-t-get-you-there-117669.html
Manager
Manager
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 128 [0], given: 80

Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 07:48
I don't know whether this helps at all, but I think you're actually in much better shape with a 22Q/35V than the other way around! You can absolutely learn the math if you put the time in, and it's just a question of how much pain you have to endure to get there. Sometimes, it can be incredibly difficult to raise a verbal score from a 22 to, say, a 35 or a 40... so maybe you're in better shape than it seems!

One of my students was really struggling to stay focused on his GMAT studies, so he stapled MBA brochures above his desk for inspiration. (He was a weird dude, and also stapled brochures above his toilet and on the ceiling above his bed.) Maybe that would help? :-D

And I completely agree with HImba88: you probably do need to work on the basics, but try to give yourself some variety so that you don't burn out. Do some GMAT questions from time to time, try to use a variety of different math books, and maybe even do a practice test when you really can't stomach the books anymore--at the very least, it can be easier to get motivated to take a test than to stare at yet another math book.

Good luck with everything. We're all looking forward to the debrief when you tell us that you earned a 720!

Helping students kick the GMAT in the nuts since 2002... www.gmatninja.com.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Tuck '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 165 [0], given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need motivational advice please! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2012, 08:18
Having been working on my prep for just less than a month I can definitely agree with the statement someone made on this forum (can't remember who). You will have moments when you feel really stupid compared to everyone else and have days when you feel like this GMAT will be a breeze but really you are just somewhere in between. So put in the hard work and it will work out! (that's what I am telling myself anyhow)

*Updated 25th July*: Embracing the downtime
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Re: Need motivational advice please!   [#permalink] 15 Nov 2012, 08:18