Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 12:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Opinion

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: ESADE '15 (A)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 29

Need Opinion [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 19:15
Hello!

I took my first attempt at GMAT in November. I scored 630 (Q47, V30, AWA 5.5).

I used OG's along with MGMAT guides for my preparation. Although I did not follow an Error Log, I kept a note beside each question I did wrong or got correct by some divine intervention. After a certain point during my preparations, my verbal score was struck in the 28-33 range. I was and still am clueless on what extra efforts I need to put to further increase my verbal score. I have scored Q47-49 many times and being an Engineer, I think I can push quantitative score to 50-51. Considering my weak GPA (2.8/4, 7.1/10; IIT Bombay Graduate), I am aiming for a 700+ score.

I am considering Princeton Review's (the only internationally recognized test preparation center in Taipei (Taiwan)) classroom course in a hope that a GMAT Instructor might help me spot mistakes and improve my verbal score.

What do you guys suggest? Does anyone have any opinion on Princeton Review's GMAT Classroom course?

I am planning to retake my exam in April-May, 2012. I already went through GMAT Retaking strategies posted on this forum and working on formulating an action plan.

Learn to walk before you run.

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1060

Kudos [?]: 2526 [0], given: 164

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need Opinion [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2011, 20:04
Expert's post
Nilay,

Given your background, you should definitely aim for 700, especially given the fact that you are from IIT B. The first thing that you need to do is to identify a target split. Given your background, you should aim for Q49 and Verbal in the range of 36-38 (the more the merrier)

How to improve your score in Verbal

Identify where you lack. You can start by looking at your Mock tests and analyzing how you fared in SC/CR/RC. It would be great if you can aggregate data over 2-3 mocks. Conversely, you can also take fresh mock test. The bottom line is that you need to identify the section where you need the most help.

After identifying the section that you need to tackle, identify areas that you need to improve on. An example could be Strengthen and assumption questions in CR, or modifier problems in SC sentence that contain multiple clauses. Be as specific as you can. Once you have identified your area of weakness, evaluate whether you follow the right process as you approach these questions. For example, do you pre-think the answer in assumption/strengthen/evaluate questions. Do you spend time to understand the intended meaning of the original sentence in SC.

Having worked with hundreds of students over the past year, one common theme that I have observed is that while most people know the core concepts, they do not have a suitable approach (which we call process in egmat terminology) to attack problems. While they are able to answer the simpler questions, they falter while facing more challenging problems.

A few weeks back I offered a free session targeted at re-takers on how to strategize to improve on Verbal. I have included a link to the session below. Review it to see if it makes sense. In addition to discussing how to create a study plan, I discuss how to evaluate your mock test in the session. One Warning - the session is 2 hrs long.

http://meet25754052.adobeconnect.com/p6g7qfd0575/

Also look at one of our recent posts to evaluate the way you approach SC questions. It may shed light on a few things.

5-strategies-that-gmat-uses-to-distort-meaning-124296.html

Let me know if the above helps. I am from IIT D and it would give me immense pleasure if I can help a fellow IITian.

-Rajat

Free trial:Click here to start free trial (100+ free practice questions)
Free Session: September 14: Learn how to define your GMAT strategy, create your study plan and master the core skills to excel on the GMAT. Click here to attend.
ImageImageImageImage

Re: Need Opinion   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2011, 20:04