Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 02:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 65

Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2013, 17:59
I need help regarding what problems should I practice to increase Q score. Either I run out of time when I apply 1st 10 questions strategy or get silly error when I apply strict time limits.. My weakness is not able to find shortcuts quickly.. I've been practicing 10 set a day from OG 12 and Q 2nd Edition but would appreciate any further references to problem sets that will help improve my score.. I've Quantitative background which is somewhat seems to be hindrance since my 1st approach seems to be looking for algebra and by the time I switch to 2nd approach (smart numbers, back solving) I almost run out of time.. I also like pointers to unwind some of algebra approach..

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 192 [1] , given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
nt2010 wrote:
I need help regarding what problems should I practice to increase Q score. Either I run out of time when I apply 1st 10 questions strategy or get silly error when I apply strict time limits.. My weakness is not able to find shortcuts quickly.. I've been practicing 10 set a day from OG 12 and Q 2nd Edition but would appreciate any further references to problem sets that will help improve my score.. I've Quantitative background which is somewhat seems to be hindrance since my 1st approach seems to be looking for algebra and by the time I switch to 2nd approach (smart numbers, back solving) I almost run out of time.. I also like pointers to unwind some of algebra approach..

Hi,

Conc more on first 10 and lat 10 questions.. by more i do not mean more than 20mins in each section.
If after 1.5mins you think that you cannot solve the question in next 1min then guess and move on else stick to it.

Regarding approach:
Almost ALL the problems can be solved using algebra (so stick to it if you are really confident)
For some odd problems you need choosing smart numbers (but those problems will be rare i guess)

Regarding problems:
you can get a good number of quality problems discussed in gmatclub.
You can find the topic wise tag link in my signature.

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Manager
Manager

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 17:22
Thanks @nKit for the pointers.

Manager
Manager

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2013, 17:22
Thanks @nKit for the pointers.

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 894

Kudos [?]: 3778 [1] , given: 148

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2013, 22:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nt2010 wrote:

Since you already have a Quant background and are looking for more intuitive/logical (read faster) methods of solving questions, I would advise you to check out my blog. It is meant for people like you - who have their concepts worked out but are looking for speed, accuracy and cultivating a sense of logic.

This is the link to page 3 of my blog: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/categor ... om/page/3/
Start with the last post (oldest) and move upwards to maintain the chronology (subsequent posts are often based on previous posts).

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2013, 20:51
Thanks Karishma. I've been readying quarter wisdom and quarter wit.. very good articles.

1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 49

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 66

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2013, 21:18
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
nt2010 wrote:

Hi nt2010, I agree you will get pearls of wisdom from quarter wit quarter wisdom, but every question you see is an opportunity to improve your quant skills. To elaborate, I believe the greatest advantage you can have in quant is to be able to solve questions in different ways, because one trick wonders often come up against brick walls. Almost every question can be solved in multiple ways, but they'll all bring you to the right answer. Consider basic algebra:

x + y = 5
2x - y = 1

With these two equations, you can solve for the values of x and y through substitution method algebra (replace "x" by "5-y"), elimination method algebra for x (add the two equations), elimination method algebra for y (multiply the first equation by 2 and then subtract the two equations) or back solving using answer choices (x=2 and y=3), or even other concepts.

By being able to solve questions from multiple angles, you will begin to see exactly how the questions are formulated, and what the exam is really testing . The more flexible you are on these problems, the more your score will go up. Especially if you're aiming for 50+ on Quant, you want to be able to see the question from all angles to unlock the best strategy to utilize. Ideally, you should become Neo from the Matrix!!

Hope this helps!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 19:10
Thanks Ron for the input. I hear what you're saying. I realized my weakness is lack of steady every day practice and not thinking through alternatives..

Re: Need pointers to Move Q42/43 - Q50/51   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 19:10