Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 22:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion with a stupid assumption and can never be the conclusion
WE 1: Marine Engineer
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 4

Need Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 06:13
Male, 23, Marine Engineer, India

GMAT : 720(Q51 V35)
TOEFL : 111

Under Graduate : From MERI(former DMET), Kolkata (prestigious government Institute)
GPA - 3.54

Work Experience : I started working with Mitsui OSK Lines from September,2007 and switched over to NYK Shipmanagement in 2009.
I am currently working with NYK Shipmanagement and recently been promoted to the rank of 2nd Assistant Engineer.

So by September,12 my work experience would comprise 5 years onboard 5 different vessels, with different cargo, machinery, trade and routes.
As my job required me to work in international waters and trade between different companies, my international experience is almost the same as well and I have visited 5 out 7 continents ( except Africa & South America) and more than 50 countries.
I had been working in Japanese companies( MOL & NYK, being the largest and second largest shipping companies of the world respectively), onboard vessels with foreign owner and foreign flag, with multinational officers and crew including, Russian, Croatian, Filipino, Bangladeshi, Indonesian, Chinese, Vietnamese etc.

Extra Curricular : Was National Kickboxing Championship Quarter-Finalist
Working voluntarily for "Variye Nagarik Seva Sansthan" an organisation to help poor old aged people.
Has worked with NGO "1% Humanity" in co-ordination with Kolkata Police
Helped Kolkata Police in Blood Donation camps during college years.

Short Term Goal : Post MBA, I would like to work with the Industrial or Energy sector. Would like you to short list the institutions for me.

With my research I am tageting:

Dream School : MIT, LBS, INSEAD
Within reach : HEC, IE, ISB, Oxford
Safe Schools : Manchestor, Mays, BYU

Please rate my profile and guide me how to explicitly express my non-traditional background as a Marine Engineers to adcoms, who might be unfamiliar with my tasks and responsibilities.
I have few ideas and I would like to mail you personally.

Thanks in advance.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 46

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 179

Re: Need Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 17 May 2011, 15:43
Expert's post
Hi shobhitude:

Thanks for the level of detail you provided. I do think that your school choices may require some more homework.

The first thing that you need to clarify (to yourself) is the high-level nature of your ultimate goal in the energy sector. Do you plan on engaging a more traditional organization that is in the oil and gas industry or do you plan on pursuing opportunities with companies in the renewable energies field? This is what you need to determine for yourself.

Either way, your choices seem to be a little off. For the most part, the European programs you name are heavily focused on sending their graduates back into consulting or finance. They also have very strong relationships with large fortune 500 type corporations. If you plan on going back to a traditional oil and gas company, you may be in luck with some European programs. I would look to see who recruits from the programs you listed and see if there are oil and gas companies recruit from there. As an addendum, European programs do seem to a pretty good job with integrating in environmental stewardship (into the curriculum), but that is distinctly different from serving as a launchpad into less traditional energy industries.

I would suggest looking further into these programs --
University of Dundee -- MBA in Oil and Gas Management
Aberdeen Business School -- MBA Oil and Gas Management
Stockholm School of Economics -- I believe that they have a program located in Russia that specializes in oil and gas.

If you want to go into the renewable energy sector, you really need to focus more on some of the American (and even Canadian) schools. More specifically, I would take a look at the state of Texas. The other thing you need to consider is what will be the nature of your role in the future. Will it be more finance focused? If so, you really want to take a look at Texas McCombs.
Consider these programs as well -- Duke has an MBA in Energy and Environment. I believe that the University of Houston also has an energy focused MBA along with Rice University and Athabasca University (in Canada.)

Anyway, I am sure that there are a few more programs you could find located in the United States. Do the research and feel free to add to this list.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton