Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Oct 2014, 10:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Profile Evaluation -- Thanks!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Need Profile Evaluation -- Thanks! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2013, 10:38
Want to thank you for taking the time for this.
Demographics- 24 (almost 25) at matriculation, American born and raised but of Indian decent.
GMAT - 690 [49Q/36V] AWA/IR - Awaiting scores

Undergrad - UT Dallas Class of 2011 Major: Business Administration/International Business

GPA - 3.67 (Cum Laude)

Work Experience- 3 years at matriculation
Global Fortune 500, Telecom/IT Leader
Spent my first 8 months working as Associate Project Manager, basically shadowing and assisting a senior PM.
Afterwards due to luck (resource constraint) and because I was doing a good job, I was promoted to a Project Manager, a position that requires an MBA and 5+ yrs of exp for new hires. Since then, I have been managing my own projects. Project team includes 15-20 cross-function resources from all over the world - some local in U.S., others in China, India, Netherlands, Ireland, Sweden. I manage all aspects of the project, including maintaining project finances, budget, timeline, customer deliverable, risk/change management. Besides leadership experience obtained from being a project manager with team of technical resources, I have gained great experience by traveling to customer sites and holding presentations/meetings with customer. I am the face of the project to upper management and to the customer, so this position comes with a great deal of responsibility and work load. I am in a good situation with a great company, however I do want a career change as this industry is very technical and I feel that coming from a business background I will always be somewhat limited due to my lack of technical knowledge.

Extra-Curricular-
College: President of fraternity. Extensive documented volunteering at variety of places. VP Order of Omega - Greek Honor Society
Post College: Not much definetly a weak point.

Interesting fact- Been on MTV reality tv show for full season.

Short Term Goal- I want to make a career change to strategy consulting, in particular with a focus on projects dealing with international business related solutions for multi-national global companies.

Long Term Goal- Leverage my experience from strategy consulting to obtain a leadership role with a company in an industry for which i am passionate.

Target schools- Duke, Northwestern, Tuck, Ross, Sloan, Berkeley (My dad went here for Masters)

Questions:
-I currently have 2 years of experience and will have 3 by matriculation, will this count against me or does my current position offset this to my advantage?

- I recently took my GMAT for the first time and got the score above. I plan to take it again ASAP and improve it too 710+, might have some applications already submitted before...does my 690 hurt?

-Target schools, do you see any I should add to the list or take off?

Thank you for taking the time!!! Much Appreciated
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Admissionado
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 44

Kudos [?]: 540 [0], given: 29

Re: Need Profile Evaluation -- Thanks! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 08:49
Expert's post
Hey there my friend,
You seem to have a really great career going for you - probably the single most impressive thing (both for future employers, and for the schools) is how much responsibility you have and how fast you have moved. That plus a fantastic GPA is gonna be great for you....

buuuuuuuuuuut (you knew it was coming).. I want to open up a discussion with you about the advantages and disadvantages of applying this year with this GMAT score... the thing is you have a great profile, but not a shoe-in profile... with a 690, you are gonna struggle to get into Top 10 programs, whereas if you had a 720 ( a measly 30 points) it would be a different story.

I'm not saying you CAN'T get in this year... you have some interesting stuff (not LEAST of which is this MTV thing)... but if you are gonna do this once only wouldn't you rather give it your BEST shot????

Of course whether you should wait or not depends on:
- How much higher you think you can get
- How long it would take you
- What you would do in the meantime
- Other professional considerations that I do not yet know about
- Same for personal considerations...

Basically if you KNOW you can get those extra 30 points and you are happy in your job, and no personal thing pushes you to apply now, then I'd say retake and apply with your 720. If you have good reasons... then yeah... you could still get into great schools... you are just making it a bit harder for them.

What are your thoughts, dude?

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!