Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 02:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 15

Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2012, 10:31
Hello guys,

Well, I am retaking my test and need advice on a late strategy for reading comprehension (RC).
My test is Nov 26th 2012 (less than 4 days from today).
I have been taking timed tests from plenty of sources and doing relatively well in most sessions. However, I am averaging a 50% accuracy on RC questions (on timed environment). When I retake these tests, I usually go well. I entirely used the OG 11th/12th and usually I go relatively well when redoing these passages.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I forgot to mention that I usually go bad when the passage is about a historical situation.

Thanks!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Section Director
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 622

Kudos [?]: 2513 [1] , given: 745

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 13:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 19

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 12:36
hello rainfall,
you forgot to mention how do you tackle RC and what's your general approach to such questions.
what i think is you should follow the mapping method which is:
1. reading the first paragraph and writing the main idea of the paragraph in your own words
2. reading the first line of each paragraph and write it down in your own words
3. reading the last sentence of the last paragraph.

by doing the above you get a better understanding of the paragraph, structure and a general idea where to look in detailed questions.

after that just go through the questions and decide if you need to read more about something and if so where.

the whole purpose of RC is to fill your head with unnecessary details and confuse you.
there is no use in reading the whole passage.

in 4 days it will be a little hard to comprehend but let me know if you need more guidance.

i suggest you also look here:
how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html

If my answer helped, dont forget KUDOS! :)

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING

Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2513 [0], given: 745

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 12:58
Expert's post
I dont think changing your strategy in 4 days is going to make things better, and it just make it worse.
Just try to have a good sleep and do a couple of official problems over gmatclub.
Make sure you get primary purpose questions and have a good night's sleep.
you DO NOT want to obsess over anything 4 days before the test.
Chill out and post a debrief after you are done!
:-)
(some thursdays with ron with breakfast might be a double whammy)

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Current Student

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 13:05
roygush wrote:
hello rainfall,
you forgot to mention how do you tackle RC and what's your general approach to such questions.
what i think is you should follow the mapping method which is:
1. reading the first paragraph and writing the main idea of the paragraph in your own words
2. reading the first line of each paragraph and write it down in your own words
3. reading the last sentence of the last paragraph.

by doing the above you get a better understanding of the paragraph, structure and a general idea where to look in detailed questions.

after that just go through the questions and decide if you need to read more about something and if so where.

the whole purpose of RC is to fill your head with unnecessary details and confuse you.
there is no use in reading the whole passage.

in 4 days it will be a little hard to comprehend but let me know if you need more guidance.

i suggest you also look here:
how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html

Hi roygush

thank you so much for your reply.
I was actually losing hopes for any reply.
Well, I use the "read the entire passage throughly" strategy and then go to the questions. I tried this strategy by rhyme before. However, I could not make much use of it, as I had to re-read the passage. It actually took more time to do this than to "really" read the passage.
For long passages, I take about 4mins to read. In short passages I usually take 3mins

After reading, I use 30-90 seconds to answer the questions (if I notice I am taking too long, I just choose one).

EDIT: I don't want to change my strategy in less than 3 days (time is ticking hehehe). Any general tip for this specific strategy would help.

After the test, I will certainly debrief in forum!

Last edited by rainfall on 23 Nov 2012, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
MBA Section Director

Kudos [?]: 2513 [0], given: 745

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 23 Nov 2012, 13:07
Expert's post
Current Student

Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2012, 02:53
souvik101990 wrote:

Here is a video with your strategy

Thanks man! Kudos for that!
My strategy looks like this one. Let's see if I am missing something.
I'll let you guys know what happens next Monday (test day)
Re: Need RC advice. Just a few days from my test   [#permalink] 24 Nov 2012, 02:53