Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 18:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some advice

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Need some advice [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2004, 23:55
This post may be bit out of scope! but need some help here!

My GMAT is 710 (Q50, V36) AWA 4 :oops: :(
But my TOEFL is 257

Will this TOEFL score hamper my chances to schools like Harvard??
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck'08
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 01:50
Your verbal is 35, not 25
Your Awa is 4, not 2
Your total GMAT is 710 which is a really good score, don't forget that you are close to extremely great percentile now...you have to be aware that the majority of people fight to get 670...and few of them will reach it. :roll:

Application is full of things, you should care more about your essays than about 10-20 points in Toefl...

but i can understand your idea as your verbal+awa+toefl is not as good as your great maths skills so it could mean that your english is not so good...but i wouldn't be so worried about that. :wink:

Hope you'll get it, good luck :-D
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 13:38
The threshold for TOEFL is usually around 250 for the Near Elite and higher Gen Rep schools. Thus, a 257 in combination with the other scores sounds acceptable.

Hjort
CIO
CIO
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 154 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2004, 15:31
One thing to keep in mind (with regard to HBS in particular) is that they "discourage any candidiate with a TOEFL score lower than 253 from applying" and "urge students from non-English-speaking countries to take the TWE..."

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/inter ... cants.html

http://www.mbagameplan.com

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 01:59
One thing to keep in mind (with regard to HBS in particular) is that they "discourage any candidiate with a TOEFL score lower than 253 from applying" and "urge students from non-English-speaking countries to take the TWE..."

This is what I was exactly reffering to, this implies that it is ok to apply to HBS with the given score of 257, but my question is: 257 being a border line case, will it raise an eyebrow or two among ADCOMM's? or will they just check that TOEFL is 257 and GMAT Verbal 84% percentile, so the applicant holds some credibility and the application is worth looking at?
CEO
CEO
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 435 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2004, 07:13
Greetings,

English communication skills are typically treated on a dichotomous basis- either the applicant has the skills or does not. In some cases, a school might accept cases with scores below the threshold if they have other compelling evidence of English skills (e.g. worked x years in English speaking country). However, it might be easier just to take the exam HBS wants with a high score and conclusively clear this issue.

Hjort