Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some advice on how to continue studying from here

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 12

Need some advice on how to continue studying from here [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 08:41
Background
  • December 2011: Cold GMATPrep score was 570 Q31 V38
  • June 2012: Went through MGMAT guides, scored 610 Q40 V34 MGMAT CAT 1. Continued studying by doing timed OG12 problems and keeping an error log and working a little on SC
    End of June 2012: 630 Q40 V36 on MGMAT CAT 2.. SC studying paid off a little, not so much for Quant
  • July 2012: Started work, no time to study
  • February 2013: Started studying again, got ahold of the 1,000 Sackmann problems, trying to take GMAT by the end of April

Going Forward
My plan is to improve Quant to a Q48+ and then dig into Verbal, since that seems to be my strong point. I have been trying to do Sackmann problems for an hour or two each day, as that is the most I can afford to put in.

I have finished the Algebra Challenge and am about half way through the Geometry Challenge. ~150 questions completed so far.

I was originally planning on doing all of Sackmann problems before diving back into OG12 and OG Quant, but I am having second thoughts since there are also a ton of OG12 and OG Quant problems. I am trying to be as efficient as possible.

I completed all of the OG12 PS (230) problems last summer and ~75 (of 176) of the DS problems. Although I don't think I had the chance to review the error logs yet. I have not done anything with the OG Quant yet.

How should I proceed? Currently I am doing Sackmann's problems untimed. Should I begin timing myself (I did OG questions timed)? Should I even continue doing his problems? Or move back to OG12 / OG Quant?

I am planning on taking MGMAT CAT 3 next weekend to see how I have progressed since I began studying again.

Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Please give KUDOS if this post was helpful!

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 114 [3] , given: 12

Re: Need some advice on how to continue studying from here [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2013, 14:56
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

Just a few quick things that might help:

1. If it has been a year since you have worked on the OG (and because there so much other official material) then you may want to put away the non-official material and get back to the OG and other oiffical materials. Also, go ahead an get the digital version of the 13th edition so that you have the newest questions and are always working off a computer screen. Unless yo have unlimited time and really need the basic practice I would skip at least the first 50 in PS and the first 30 in DS.

A few other worth while official materials:

Quantitative review Second Edition (Depending on how you are scoring you may want to focus only on the second half of these questions)
Verbal Review Second Edition (I would solve all of the SC but you may want to skip forward on CR and RC depending on how you are doing)

Question Pack 1 - Focus on Medium/Hard questions (you can select the difficulty)

GMAT Focus - These are fantastic with a week or two of your test

9 GMAT Paper Tests - Awesome for verbal practice. Decent indicators of where you are scoring in verbal.

GMATPrep Docs - The full question banks for the GMATprep tests are here on GC. They are great once you have taken the tests a bunch of times and just want to make sure that you have seen all of the hard stuff or just want extra official practice.

2. It sounds like you may not have put your error log to good use. It really helps to analyze content/questions that gave you trouble. A nice way to do this is to take screenshots of questions that you got wrong or just took a long time to solve. Put all the images in a folder and visit them weekly to re-solve. Once you have mastered something then take it out.

3. Start practicing both Quant and Verbal now. Even if you focus more on Quant still get the verbal muscle moving because it usually takes longer to get in shape. Maybe you will get more improvement from verbal? Who knows.

4. Work through the MGMAT CATs and the GMAT Club CATs. They are both good for different things. Keep an error log for these as well. I would just focus on the Quant sections of these tests and stick to all official questions for Verbal.

Let me know if you have any questions! Happy studies!

HG.

"It is a curious property of research activity that after the problem has been solved the solution seems obvious. This is true not only for those who have not previously been acquainted with the problem, but also for those who have worked over it for years." -Dr. Edwin Land

GMAT Sample Questions to assess your GMAT Quant.

If you found my post useful KUDOS are much appreciated.

IMPROVE YOUR READING COMPREHENSION with the ECONOMIST READING COMPREHENSION CHALLENGE:

Here is the first set along with some strategies for approaching this work: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-economist-reading-comprehension-challenge-151479.html

Re: Need some advice on how to continue studying from here   [#permalink] 16 Feb 2013, 14:56