Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some advice regarding employment experience

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 9

Premium Member
Need some advice regarding employment experience [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2012, 08:07
Hi,

I need some advice regarding employment experience. I have just taken the gmat and am now looking to consolidate my resume.

After finishing high school I did a couple years in the military and then went to get my BA. I finished a BA in Business and for about a year have been working at a small company that does financial consulting mostly for accounting purposes. The company has about twenty employs and is a young firm. e.g. My immediate boss has been at the company for for about two years and does not seem to be going any where. So any opportunity for a promotion is highly speculative.

My question is as follows: I am under the impression that business schools look at the amount of responsibilities that you had during your work experience and that in general they like Global companies more than local ones (especially if you are not from the US). I plan to apply to begin in 2014 so I have another full year of work experience before I send out my applications. I also feel that I might be able to get a job at a global company. Should I start looking around for that such a job, or is it better to concentrate on what I am doing now and just rack up the years of experience?

I would appreciate any advice.

Try to make my way to San Jose.

??? class of 2016

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 328 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: Need some advice regarding employment experience [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 04:33
Expert's post
thebogie17 wrote:
Hi,

I need some advice regarding employment experience. I have just taken the gmat and am now looking to consolidate my resume.

After finishing high school I did a couple years in the military and then went to get my BA. I finished a BA in Business and for about a year have been working at a small company that does financial consulting mostly for accounting purposes. The company has about twenty employs and is a young firm. e.g. My immediate boss has been at the company for for about two years and does not seem to be going any where. So any opportunity for a promotion is highly speculative.

My question is as follows: I am under the impression that business schools look at the amount of responsibilities that you had during your work experience and that in general they like Global companies more than local ones (especially if you are not from the US). I plan to apply to begin in 2014 so I have another full year of work experience before I send out my applications. I also feel that I might be able to get a job at a global company. Should I start looking around for that such a job, or is it better to concentrate on what I am doing now and just rack up the years of experience?

I don't think it's true that AdCom look for global company experience. Schools look for candidates who are driven and have a record to back that up, oftentimes, that means career progression. I think this can also be demonstrated through extra-curricular activities. The issue I see with going to a global company is that in 1 year, you won't really have any more career progression. In fact, the job switching may raise some eyebrows as to why you made the switch, if it is a lateral move. That said, if you can stay in the global company for a couple of years, and move up in the organization, that would be a positive in the eyes of the AdCom.

Diversity

VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Need some advice regarding employment experience [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2012, 06:51
thebogie17 wrote:
Hi,

It depends. Many applicants come from small companies, but they tend to be startups or boutique firms in typical MBA feeder industries (tech, consulting, banking, etc.). The reason why adcoms seem to favor people from global (or well known) companies is because they are known quantities. Adcoms know how selective these employers are, the typical timeframe for promotions, and standard performance measures. When you're coming from a small, local company there is no frame of reference for any of that stuff there is more onus on you to prove that your accomplishments are meaningful.
Switching jobs at this point is up to you. If you can get into a feeder company that would be great. If you stick with your current employer and take on as much responsibility as possible then that's great too. Also employer matters more the further up the ranking you go. Depending on what schools you're targeting switching companies may only give you a marginal return in terms of application success.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Re: Need some advice regarding employment experience   [#permalink] 17 Aug 2012, 06:51