Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CBS Thread Master
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 332 [0], given: 97

Premium Member
need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 11:39
Expert's post
Hi Folks,
I'd request you to share your thoughts (especially if you've taken your GMAT) on the couple of things on IR -

1. There are 12 questions. So, for example say, there's a section of 'Table Analysis' under which there are 3-4 questions against the given table. So, are these three 3-4 qs considered as a whole to be one question among the total 12 questions or each of these 3-4 qs is considered individually as a single question ?

2.As there is no partial credit hence, if I get ONLY 1 of these 3-4 questions wrong and then will the whole 'Table Analysis' section be considered incorrect or only that particular one question which I got wrong, will be considered incorrect ?

Experts - I'd also request you to shed some light on this.

e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1532 [1] , given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Folks,
I'd request you to share your thoughts (especially if you've taken your GMAT) on the couple of things on IR -

1. There are 12 questions. So, for example say, there's a section of 'Table Analysis' under which there are 3-4 questions against the given table. So, are these three 3-4 qs considered as a whole to be one question among the total 12 questions or each of these 3-4 qs is considered individually as a single question ?

2.As there is no partial credit hence, if I get ONLY 1 of these 3-4 questions wrong and then will the whole 'Table Analysis' section be considered incorrect or only that particular one question which I got wrong, will be considered incorrect ?

Dear Bagdbmba,
I'm happy to help with this. :-)

Folks typically say there are 12 "questions" on the IR, but I think this terminology is misleading. I would say --- there are 12 pages on the IR. There may be, and usually are, multiple questions on a page. There is no partial credit on a page. If several questions appear on the same page, on the same screen, then you must get everything on the page correct to get any credit.

A single MSR page may be
(a) a single five-choice multiple choice question
(b) a chart with three dichotomous choice questions
Notice that scenario (a) on MSR is the only case in which a single page has only one question. In the case of the chart, you must get every statement on the chart correct to get any credit on the page.

A single TA page typically has a table of three, maybe four, dichotomous choice questions. One must get all questions correct to get any credit on that page.

A single GI page has two sentences with drop-down menus. One must select the correct choice on both drop-down menu to get any credit on the page.

A single 2PA page has a single big two-column chart, and one must make exactly one selection in each column. Both selections must be correct to get any credit on the page.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Last edited by mikemcgarry on 25 Sep 2013, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
CBS Thread Master

Premium Member
Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2013, 17:19
Expert's post
Math Expert
Followers: 2873

Kudos [?]: 18374 [0], given: 2348

GMAT Tests User CAT Tests
Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 00:34
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Folks,

Q: Some of the Integrated Reasoning questions require multiple responses. Is there partial credit if I get some but not all of the parts correct?
A: You must get all parts of the question correct to receive credit. The questions are designed to measure your Integrated Reasoning skills, and the responses to a single question are interrelated so that answering them all correctly demonstrates your ability to integrate data to solve complex problems. Additionally, the IR score scale has been designed to reward a candidate’s ability to synthesize multiple streams of information and evaluate possible outcomes as opposed to randomly guessing an answer.

From mba.com http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/ans ... tions.aspx

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

CBS Thread Master

Premium Member
Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 01:15
Expert's post
Bunuel wrote:
bagdbmba wrote:
Hi Folks,

Q: Some of the Integrated Reasoning questions require multiple responses. Is there partial credit if I get some but not all of the parts correct?
A: You must get all parts of the question correct to receive credit. The questions are designed to measure your Integrated Reasoning skills, and the responses to a single question are interrelated so that answering them all correctly demonstrates your ability to integrate data to solve complex problems. Additionally, the IR score scale has been designed to reward a candidate’s ability to synthesize multiple streams of information and evaluate possible outcomes as opposed to randomly guessing an answer.

From mba.com http://www.mba.com/the-gmat/nex-gen/ans ... tions.aspx

Hope it helps.

Thank you Bunuel...!

Do we have bunch of reliable(re close match to the official IR qs) IR questions to practice apart from those in the IR thread you created?

e-GMAT SC Resources-Consolidated || ALL RC Resources-Consolidated || ALL SC Resources-Consolidated || UPDATED : AWA compilations-109 Analysis of Argument Essays

GMAT Club guide - OG 11-12-13 || Veritas Blog || Manhattan GMAT Blog

Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 388

Kudos [?]: 1532 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 12:42
Expert's post
bagdbmba wrote:
Do we have bunch of reliable(re close match to the official IR qs) IR questions to practice apart from those in the IR thread you created?

Dear bagdbmba,
Here's a blog with six practice 2PA questions.
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/gmat-integ ... questions/
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Re: need some clarification on IR question pattern and markings   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2013, 12:42