Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need some help please! [#permalink]
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Laurence,

GMAC has publicly stated that the Official Score that you earn on Test Day is within +-30 points of actual ability, which means that any of your 580s could have easily been a 600+. However, based on your variation in your scores (and since NONE of your scores have been at that level), those results imply that you're 'winging it' when taking your Official GMATs - you're not consistent in how you approach the Exam, so your score fluctuate. You could easily score at the 600+ level, but you'll have to make some fundamental changes in how you 'see' (and respond to) the Exam to hit that level.

1) How do you know that you "need" a 600+?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to? What is the application deadline for each?
3) What is the next application deadline for each?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

I applied to Erasmus University, Rotterdam School of Managements premaster program. I have already been admitted on condition that I provide them with a 600+ GMAT score before deadline, which is 15 May 2016. Their next deadline will be 15 May 2017. Then there are some other Dutch universities that I am considering, all of them asking a 600+ GMAT for their business/management programs. Those other universities have deadlines ranging from 15 June to 31 August.

As I already have been admitted to Erasmus University on other criteria and only need to provide them with this score, I really would like to give it another try before 15 May. But I am not sure about how to use this short time to improve myself. You are right when you say that I am 'wining' it'. I know that something has to change fundamentally but I can't see what. I have already been tracking every mistake that I made, asking myself what went wrong. Most of the times it turned out to be a careless/stupid mistake or misreading the question. I concluded that this had to do with my timemanagement on the Quant part. Sometimes I had 15 minutes left, so I went over it way too fast, and sometimes I had to guess the last 2 or 3 questions on a CAT. I have been working on my pace and while doing CAT's I don't have time issues anymore. But yesterday on the real test I had a lack of time again, as well in Quant as in Verbal.

I know something is going wrong all the time. But I don't really see what it is that I have to change in order to surpass the 600. Should I just keep practicing intensively with CAT's and question banks? Should I go back to my tutor again, or maybe another tutor? Or should I go over my study material again or provide myself with new study materials?

I hope you can help me!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer!

I would be very willingly to join Magoosh and go over all of the study materials. I don't lack motivation or energy, but as you say, I don't know if this is realistic within 3 weeks. Can you give me a guess at how many hours I should spent every day in order to go over all of the material?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [0]
Given Kudos: 130
Expert Reply
Laurence wrote:
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer!

I would be very willingly to join Magoosh and go over all of the study materials. I don't lack motivation or energy, but as you say, I don't know if this is realistic within 3 weeks. Can you give me a guess at how many hours I should spent every day in order to go over all of the material?

Dear Laurence,
My friend, qualifying for the score guarantee would probably be something close to a full-time investment, at least 5-6 hours a day. That would definitely boost your score, but that's a great deal of time.

If your math is strong, rather than watch every intro math lesson, you simply could take the quizzes at the ends of the modules. That would save you some time, if basic math is a strength for you. Passing the quizzes at the ends of the lessons is a way to show that you have already mastered that material and don't need to spend time on those lessons.

If you were interested in qualifying for the score guarantee, you would have to watch all the lessons and do a large chunk of the questions. If you are willing to let go of the score guarantee, you could just do as much as you possibly can fit during the three weeks. If you watch some of the more advanced math lesson, go through the SC lessons thoroughly, and practice as many questions as you can, I would be surprised if this alone doesn't give you a significant increase in your score.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Laurence,

Continuing your studies in the same ways as before is likely not going to lead to the improvement that you're looking for. As it stands, there's actually a pretty easy 'fix' for your situation, but you have to adjust how you 'see' (and respond to) the GMAT to incorporate it. Right now, you've defined your BIG problem - you're making too many silly/little mistakes (likely because you're rushing through questions and not taking enough notes). If you had more time, slowed down a bit and took more notes, you could likely eliminate those little mistakes. With your overall score goal, you don't need to answer ANY of the 'hard' questions correctly, so you should plan to dump those questions quickly. In that way, you'll have some extra time to spend on the 'gettable' questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Mike and Rich,

Thank you so much for your help! What you're saying makes sense so I've decided to let go of the Erasmus University deadline. I am going to study with the Magoosh material and practice avoiding the hard questions in my CAT's. And when I get 600+ multiple times I will go for the official GMAT again.

Best,
Laurence
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Laurence wrote:
Hello there,

I am dealing with the following situation and could use some good advise.

I was already planning to applicate to University in may 2015, so I needed at least 600 on the GMAT. Because of circumstances I only had two months to prepare, so I signed up for a quant prepcourse and got 580(Q38 V31). I couldn't do it again before application deadline, but as I only needed 20 more points I thought I could do that easily within the next years application deadline.

I've been studying and practicing intensively again (Manhattan prep and OG) since October 2015, went to 2 different tutors and made lots of CAT's . As my tutor believed in me I signed up again. On 4 april I did the GMAT and got 580 again, this time Q32 V38. Today (20 april), after two more weeks of practice I tried again and got 580 again! (Q39 V31).

I am hesitant to sign up 1 more time (application deadline is 15 may). Apparently I am doing something wrong some where, but I have now Idea what it is. When I am doing CAT's I always score 580/590 and my Q and V scores are always variable from Q31-42 and V27-38, so I know I am able to score high enough on both parts individually, but never manage to get that at the same test.

Do you have any advise for me on how to get those 20 points within 3 weeks?

Thanks!

Here is a small piece of advice from me:
If you are good with Erasmus, it may not be a bad idea to give it one more shot before the deadline. The way your scores are, you can do reasonably well on both sections. But you are able to focus your energy on only one section in any given test. Probably, when you don't do well on a section, next time you focus on that and do well but you end up shortchanging the other one. This time, review concepts of both sections once, work on your weaknesses and take extra care during the test.
Take a light healthy breakfast before the test and utilise each break to de-stress and eat something to keep your energy and concentration. Know that you must do well on both parts and give both your best. If the score is again less than 600, just cancel it so that it will not appear on your scorecard. In that case, you can continue with your plan of revisiting all fundamentals.
GMAT Club Bot