Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 247 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Consulting (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Need some help please.What are my chances. [#permalink]
MSFHQ wrote:
63368 wrote:
Hello guys,

I am an international student who graduated from MSU last fall with a bachelor's degree in finance. My overall GPA is 3.4. I am shooting for BC, VANDY, CMC, UIUC, UWSTL and other MSF schools . what are my chances ?

During the summer of my senior year I interned as an investment banking summer analyst at a small boutique IB and after my graduation last fall I was asked to join the firm as a FT analyst. The firm can not sponsor me and I really want to move to a large decent boutique IB in the future. Therefore, if I can not land a job before my OPT expires I'm planning to go to a decent MSF program. Having said that I think my resume is pretty much IBanking-centric and I had some other experience with decent quality when I was in school. I think my professional goal is clear and is in line with what MSF programs do. As for as for recommendation letters, I think my managing directors are willing to recommend me.

With a decent paper and a good Gmat score what are my chances?

Thanks in advance.

3.4 GPA is good. MSU (I am assuming Michigan State University) is a good enough school also. Your internships and the fact that you received an offer is the big selling point. The number one things MSF schools really look at is the ability to place students. IMO, GMAT scores aren't a great predictor of success in and outside of school. They are used as a way to simplify the admissions process.

Do the following. Target a 650 or better on the GMAT. If you score lower don't freak out. Get a recommendation from a professor and someone at work. Make sure you mention in your admission essay that you received a FT offer, but need a bigger bank because of sponsorship. I would say with those scores and you would get into UIUC and BC, and be competitive at Vandy/WUSTL. One comment though. CMC is a financial engineering program (MS Computational Finance). I don't know how competitive you'd be with only a finance major. If you have the necessary math skills then fine, but without knowing more I can't really say. If you have the math and want CMC definitely target a higher GMAT.

Apply as early as possible (R1) if you can. I'd also maybe look at Villanova (where I did my MSF) and UT Austin. Both are great schools with strong historic placements. Just something to consider.

Thanks for your interpretation. I would definitely look at Villanova and UT Austin. I am also thinking about University of Rochester , Tulane...etc.
I did not know that Claremont's program is a math-based MSF though (kinda want to go there). If it is I don't think my math skill is polished enough to be competitive.

Originally posted by 63368 on 05 Jul 2013, 14:30.
Last edited by 63368 on 05 Jul 2013, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
essaysnark wrote:
Hi 63368 - welcome to GMAT Club! Without knowing more about you, we are going to go out on a limb and say that your chances might be pretty good. Your GPA is fine and you've got a reasonable list lined up - and the MS programs are not nearly as competitive as the MBAs that so many people on these boards are trying for. Your GMAT is obviously going to matter but it could work out. Having this internship + a short F/T gig at the IB is strong and it shows that you added value because they brought you on board when you graduated. You may want to mention in your essays somewhere about the firm not being able (willing?) to sponsor you - that might be a slightly tricky issue to handle but it gives a good reason (sort of) for wanting to go back to school - obviously you'll need to show how school is the necessary next step for you based on specific career goals (you don't want it to sound like you're doing school because you have no other options due to visa issue stuff). This one is the type of issue that can be seen multiple ways so you'll want to handle it with care. Maybe a recommender can mention it and then you don't need to worry about it in the essays.

Anyway you should keep moving towards this goal - looks like you have a lot going for you and that's what the schools want to see.

Good luck and keep us posted!
EssaySnark

Many thanks !
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Apologies. I read your post very quickly and say CMC as Carnegie Mellon. Claremont is a great MSF program and you will be fine with a finance major. CMC is very picky about their applicants so target a 700 GMAT or better if you really want to be competitive.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts