Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 08:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2009, 11:07
Hi,

I think the tests here are helping me do good in Quant and for the first time, today I took the GMAT prep Test and to my horror, I scored a 580!!! (Q47, V23)....
Break up fo Verbal score: SC (10/17), CR (4/11) and RC(6/13).......

I really need serious improvement in verbal. This is what I have done so far:

Kaplan verbal workbook, OG11, Manhattan SC guide

Yet, I am lost somewhere and when there is a pressure for time, I really do bad in RC......as far as CR is concerned, I tend to choose the wrong of the 2 last alternatives (1 of which would be right).........same thing with the SC.........
Guys (all the genuises!!) need some help here...........what should I do to improve this ridiculously bad score in verbal???? Should I revise the above again...........any suggestions for a gameplan? I am more than willing ot devote the required time to verbal since I think Quant would suffice.......

Thanks all in advance!!!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance
GMAT Date: 12-16-2011
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 2

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 03:25
Are you referring to the GMATClub Tests for quant that helped you improve so much?
Manager
Manager

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 09:53
The tests in GMAT CLub tests helped me see the details in a question, especially number properties where i would assume certain properties or overlook a detail. Also, the way you tackle problems changes after going through those problems.
It's worth taking those........
Current Student
Schools: Haas School of Business
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 106 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2009, 10:35
gmatprep09, I know you are already reviewing the Manhattan Sentence Correction book but just want to make sure you are using either the Third or the Fourth edition as they have significantly more coverage than the previous versions. The additional coverage could be very helpful.

For CR, The PowerScore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible is a great resource. I think it helped me quite a bit. It is a lot of reading but if you put your mind into it you can complete a chapter or two a day and finish the book in a week.

Regards,

Nookway
Manager
Manager

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2009, 19:07
Thanks Nookway,

I already go the Powerscore CR 2 days back and finished about 1/2 the book and highlighted the imp points to attack the paricular kind of ques.

I have the old Manhattan SC and havent really gone thru it entirely.

So, seems I have a long way ahead ........thanks for the suggestions........
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 12:21
Work on stamina and time management..like you said..you feel pressured for time. This is exactly what the test makers want to happen. They want to see you panic when you are under pressure...and possible make bad choices....

Outwit the test makers......
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 12:44
Two things everyone need to consider
1) Proper understanding of material
2) Time management - Very important

I agree with other member, Manhattan SC 3rd or 4th edition is the best source available and IT WORKS too...Understand Powerscore CR Bible....again the best available....

GIve 5-6 practice tests...basically to get your mind working under stress....and then again give GMATPrep....I assure you... you will get improvement...
Manager
Manager

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2009, 12:49
Hi Chill, I have the GMAT Club tests and PR tests (already took 2 and scored 610 in each although improved on the verbal the second time from 28 to 34).........would you recommend any other CAT tests before taking GMAT Prep ?? Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 16

Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 06:17
Hi gmatprep09..

I am standing at the same place as you were standing i.e. 580 ( Q48 , V23 )..The same problems as u were facing timing issues , same no. of incorrect ans etc..
I ve also done Manhattan SC, Powerscore CR etc ..

Could u plz help me with what you did specifically to improve your verbal score so that i can achieve My target of 700 as well.. I am having my Gmat scheduled on Aug 9 , 2010..

Thanks
Re: Need some motivation and advice to achieve that 700 !!!!!   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2010, 06:17