Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some perspective. I'm lost.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Need some perspective. I'm lost. [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2013, 22:10
Hi,

I'm from India and I'm 24 years old.

gmat 1st attempt (june 2013) - 690 (Q49, V34, IR8, AWA 6) [no preparation]
gmat 2nd attempt (September 2013) - 680 (Q49, V34) [3 months of preparation]

10th - 89%
12th - 84.5%
Graduation - B.E. Production Engineering, 74.2% [Birla Institute of Technology, Mesra, Ranchi]
Work experience - 33 months [2.9years] [ Senior Systems Engineer @ Infosys Technologies limited, Developer]

Extra-Curricular - No, I haven't worked at old age homes or NGO's or done anything substantial for charity. Although, I have taught computer literacy in villages and small schools and have taught adivasi's electronic repair work to expand their income avenues. I was a member of my university Basketball and Table Tennis teams. I have interned at 2 of the leading auto companies. I am a professional Dota2 and AOE player (at one point ranked among the top 5 in the country). Have been certified by country level maths scholarship's twice and by AITS (All india talent search examination). I have also been certified twice by Boeing International Limited, for excellence in Finance and Financial system's Integration (related to work achievements).

I thought my score would increase after preparation but I have no idea why everything remained the same, in fact I dropped by 10 points. No regrets from my preparation though. I really tried hard.

I feel lost at this moment and have absolutely no idea about my options and chances at the top schools anymore. I would like to pursue an MBA full time, but at this moment I feel totally disillusioned at my score and profile and can't figure out whether I even have a chance anywhere anymore.

I would really appreciate some advice on what level of colleges I can look at with my profile and score and how high I can jump on the basis of just my applications.
Something like "okay, top 20 schools are out of your reach, top 50 might be possible", but something more precise. Just some knowledgeable and experienced outlook and perspective.

Also, is a 3rd attempt viable?

Thanks a lot if you do respond.

Regards.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
MBA Admissions Consulting
WE: Consulting (Education)
Followers: 36

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 22

Re: Need some perspective. I'm lost. [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2013, 07:42
Hey goh4n - thanks for reaching out to the 'Snark - we know how frustrating this whole process can be!! Especially when you scored exactly the same on verbal and quant and yet the total went down. That's crazy! We completely understand how you feel.

Because you are on the young side, we would encourage you to try the GMAT again. It's only one part of the application but given your very common background, a higher score can help. Obviously it's that verbal side that's weighing you down, so focusing there and figuring out the sneaky ways that the GMAT test-makers create those questions might show you how to crack them. There's lots of resources here on GMAT Club and maybe you'll want to get some targeted help on verbal from a GMAT prep firm. Your IR from the first test is strong which is good to see, and the overall landscape of those GMAT scores is fine, but for the blip on verbal. The good news is that there's often a disproportionate impact to the total score when the verbal goes up - even if you only bump verbal a couple points, it could make for a much higher total. The average GMAT for successful Indian applicants is around 720 so that should be where you aim.

But you should also know that even with the 690 score you could still get into a good school - and we don't mean "top 50." There's plenty of great schools like Georgetown or Emory or even Cornell and many others that are open to applicants with <700 scores. It really comes down to the overall pitch and, in many cases, the career goals that you have, and the stories you present to show leadership. This is going to be as much of a challenge for you, probably, as the GMAT has been though. So - you're probably not going to want to hear this but - you should prepare yourself for this process taking two years. You can apply with your current score in Round 2 (we're guessing you don't have any apps ready for Round 1) and it might work, but it might not - which means that our best advice is to hit the ground running NOW in all aspects of your life, especially your career, to dive in and make a difference in the projects you're involved with. Build up a track record of success. The profile you're presenting is very common which means you need to show how you're unique, based on your contributions. Many of these take time to manifest. Ask around at work, volunteer for the big projects, suggest some ideas to improve the company and implement them. These are what the adcoms will notice the most - that's how you get in even with a slightly lower GMAT score.

And to be clear: Your GMAT score really isn't bad at all - you should not be at all ashamed! EssaySnark couldn't get a score that high if we tried today!! It's just that all of this stuff is so darn competitive which throws the perspective off. You are definitely qualified for some good schools - but what will matter is the entire presentation of your profile, and what tips the scales is the stories of achievement and impact. So start putting the wheels in motion for that now, to be a leader among your peers, and it will all build up to a better chance of success, both in MBA admissions, and in life in general. :-D

And good luck!!! We have a gazillion Success Stories on the blahg from people who started in your shoes and turned it around to an admit at a great MBA program - here's just one of many - there is hope for you!

EssaySnark

EssaySnark Essays Reviewed on GMAT Club FOR FREE!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 11

Re: Need some perspective. I'm lost. [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2013, 02:18
Thanks a lot for your reply. :)

I had a few more things I would like your opinion on, if you don't mind.

1. About a 3rd attempt. I wanted to know how it would affect my application because, well it would be my 3rd attempt and if I don't improve significantly wouldn't that be a dampener?
2. Since I now doubt my ability to improve my scores on 3rd attempt, how much do the scores of AW and IR matter, say next time I do get a 720 but AWA 4 and IR 6.. how does that affect. [apologies for sounding hypothetical but it's just the lack of confidence talking]
3. Also, with regards to the round 1 and round 2 application deadlines, considering I'm from India, is it worth me picking a few schools who have a their deadlines at the end of October and November and applying to them with my 690 1st attempt score and dive into their applications immediately, as the link you provided stated that round 1 applications are helpful for high number of applicants from the same demographic, or should I wait for a month, prepare, give a 3rd attempt, try for a higher score and then apply to all schools in round 2.

I am really intent on starting my MBA in august 2014. So, what would you do?

Thanks a lot again. your reply did bring some perspective.
Re: Need some perspective. I'm lost.   [#permalink] 27 Sep 2013, 02:18