Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need some re-testing advice.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need some re-testing advice. [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 05:53
I recently took my GMAT for the first time and got a 640 (Q40, V38). My first instinct was to retake it, i did little better on the practice (660 and a 680). Should I take it again? My GpA is only a 2.5 but I have over 2 years work experiance and expect to get good recommendations.
I don't have a chance at a top 10 or even a top 20 school, but with my stats will have have a shot at a ranked school? If so any suggestions? I'm assuming that going to an unranked school is not worth the effort. Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 08:15
I'll give you my opinion or better yet what I have read through out this process. I think your scores fine. In fact I would kill for it. :-D But, I would still make sure that it was in range for the schools in which you are applying. You can find this information either on the schoools site or at the businessweek site. What was your undergrad. major? Is your low GPA explained away i.e. death in the family, working while at school and so on. If so you could perhaps explain it away in your essays. Also, have you taken any courses since undergrad.? If not then you could take some courses to help boost your GPA. But, remember you have to ace those courses. I hope this helps. Good luck !!
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 09:41
my undergrad was computer engineering from Purdue. Unfortunately I was not an engineer and since I didnt have a better idea on what I like to do so I stuck it out.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 14:25
I think the overall point is to be unique. If a CE degree from Purdue makes you unique stress the hell out of it in your essays. And by all means address the low GPA in your essays. It's better said and out in the open then kept in secret. It shows you acknowledge the probelm. You just need to find a way to address it. Maybe, taking some finance and statistics classes will help. What's your thoughts on that?

Hopes this two cents helps.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 17:30
The question I face is...will is a 640 considered a good score?? I feel like I need to offset the low gpa by a great (not good) 700+ gmat score. I understand what you are saying about addressing the gpa and writing strong essays. However, all the top 20-30 schools have averages around 650+. So, should I just target a ranked school whose average I meet or exceed? Or should I try really hard and try to improve my score?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 17:44
I am not sure if a high GMAT will off set a low GPA. That's why I couldn't really address the question so directly. I wouldn't worry about the avg so much but look at the range. I am pretty sure your score is right there. I would also defiintely apply to some safety schools i.e. those that you meet and exceed. But, there's nothing wrong with shooting for the stars either. Hell you may get lucky. The whole damn thing is so subjective.

Another thing I read is that you shouldn't take the test again unless you are sure you can increase your score by at least 30-50 pts. I can't confirm how true this is. Ultimately, it's going to be your call. What do you feel most comfortable doing?
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2003, 20:11
First, ngozi25 thanks for your input I REALLY appreciate it. Myabe I can be of some help to you when you need it.

Regarding your question, I would say that it would take me a lot to get that 30-50 point improvement. I am personally comfortable with my score..except for that fact that I might have to go to a 'lesser' school than I had hoped for. However, I feel pressure from family to go to a top tier school and perhaps my judgement is skewed because of it. Perhaps the people on this board can provide some objectivity.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2003, 03:13
I really don't think I helped you much but you're welcome. And I know where you are coming from. I feel the same pressure. I believe it's not worth it unless I get into a top ten as well. We could both learn from others on this manner. Keep being positive and don't let the pressure get to you. Good Luck!!
  [#permalink] 17 Jul 2003, 03:13