Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 09:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 15:50
So I'm done with MGMAT Number Properties and FDP's, but I lose grip on the advanced problems in the back (600+)...

In order to take my quant up a level, I believe I need to refocus my study strategy.

At this point, what would be the most helpful (in what order)...

a) rely on reading/re-reading the content, maybe even extra-curricular content
b) attack/solve more problems between 400-500 level before trying 600+
c) redesign my problem-solving approach
d) open to your suggestions

I have access to all GMAC guides and MGMAT Q-Banks as well.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2230

Kudos [?]: 8335 [0], given: 3643

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 15:59
Expert's post
RichXXV wrote:
So I'm done with MGMAT Number Properties and FDP's, but I lose grip on the advanced problems in the back (600+)...

In order to take my quant up a level, I believe I need to refocus my study strategy.

At this point, what would be the most helpful (in what order)...

b) attack/solve more problems between 400-500 level before trying 600+
d) open to your suggestions

I have access to all GMAC guides and MGMAT Q-Banks as well.

Have you taken a GMATPrep or another practice test lately?

When you say you loose grip, you mean, you are doing a set of questions under a timed environment and you can't finish them?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 16:35
I haven't taken a practice test of any sort. 'Lose grip' basically means taking longer than 2 minutes to solve (w/ mixed results), or just flat out not knowing how to approach the problem. It means I just need more practice, right? But where do I focus my efforts?
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 388 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 17:56
RichXXV wrote:
I haven't taken a practice test of any sort. 'Lose grip' basically means taking longer than 2 minutes to solve (w/ mixed results), or just flat out not knowing how to approach the problem. It means I just need more practice, right? But where do I focus my efforts?

That's really a two part problem.

The main key with approach on problems is two fold:
1. Sold foundation in math concepts
2. General problem solving skills

#1 is strictly applied to the GMAT/other situations when you need specific math skills (compounding, parts/whole, etc)
#2 is a general skill set that helps you break down problems (used in everyday life).

#1 Helps you answer the problem correctly. #2 Helps you do so in a timely manner.

If you're having trouble keeping within the 2 mins, then you need to figure out why it's take you too long. Something is wrong with your initial analysis of the problem. One problem I would always run into is I would try to solve a problem by the "brute force" method. This means solving the problem in its entirety as opposed to simply answering the question at hand. On the GMAT, you don't always have to completely solve the unknown in the equation, just simply answer the question and move on.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 21:27
RichXXV wrote:

Thanks for your replies, mohater was dead on.

I took the extra-curricular route and utilized MGMAT's FoM resource. It helped pinpoint a weakness thats definitely detrimental to progress (extracting accurate equations from word problems). Looks like 'c' will need some fine-tuning also.
Re: Need strategic study advice - Breaking barriers   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2009, 21:27