Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:13 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 560 Q36 V31
GMAT 2: 580 Q39 V31
GMAT 3: 630 Q41 V35
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Re: Need strategy after GMAT retake [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Silviax wrote:
I am not sure in which sub-forum to post this so I am posting this here.

I just got back from my GMAT exam.
Score was as follows and yes I did cancel my score. I don't need another low score on my report.

Total: 580 (20 point improvement)
Q 39 (3 point improvement)
V 31 (same)
IR 5 (???? totally shocked about this. I had a 1 on my last practice exam!)

Next big question, actually the biggest question of all: How do I proceed from here?
The plan was to create a study plan that is totally focused on Math, but I guess I really need to improve my verbal score too.
I just don't know if the verbal section is something I can actually "study". To me it feels like I have learned absolutely nothing in the verbal part and still go by "feeling" when it comes to sentence correction and the other questions. I pick what "sounds right." A lot of the RC passages I don't understand especially when I can absolutely NOT relate to the topic at all.
Any advise? How long should I wait before I retake it?
I will go on a 2 1/2 week long trip during the second half of June so I feel like I should take it before because I will probably not have a lot of time to study on my trip and forget a lot.

:?: :?: :?:

Looking at your score, you definitely can gain some easy points in both the sections.Fortunately GMAT tests you on certain fundamentals that you can learn and practice.

1. Did you complete the entire OG and the Verbal review?

You said that you have not exhausted the resources that you have. The best way to proceed from here would be to drill down deep and understand your problem:

Try to drill down deep in each problem type.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.

Quants: Again you can bifurcate the questions into various topics such as Algebra, Geometry, Number System etc.

Once you have identified the problem areas, go back to the preparatory course/book that you have.
Make sure you also complete the OG and the Verbal review books if you have not already completed them. The official questions are the best source of practice and can help you if you are stuck at a particular score.

For additional practice, you can buy the Question Pack 1 and the Exam Pack 1 and 2. As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Hi,

you can order an enhanced score report, and see the breakdown on sub-sections. By knowing your weaknesses, you can start working on them and improve yourself.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Can I order this or any score report even though I canceled my score?

I just read on GMAC's website yesterday that scores that are canceled cannot be viewed anywhere. Not even online.
I think that's kind of messed up. What if I later want to reinstate my score? I memorized the scores from the screen when I was done but I have absolutely no proof that these were my scores.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Need strategy after GMAT retake [#permalink]
Silviax wrote:
Can I order this or any score report even though I canceled my score?

I just read on GMAC's website yesterday that scores that are canceled cannot be viewed anywhere. Not even online.
I think that's kind of messed up. What if I later want to reinstate my score? I memorized the scores from the screen when I was done but I have absolutely no proof that these were my scores.

even if you cancel your score, you can still get the enhanced score report.

https://www.mba.com/us/frequently-asked- ... #question2

Q: Can I get an Enhanced Score Report for a GMAT Exam where I cancelled my scores?
A: Yes, the Enhanced Score Report authentication code can be applied to a GMAT Exam which has been cancelled by the test taker, however it cannot be applied to a GMAT Exam when the score was revoked due to a policy violation.

to reinstate the score, you need: appointment #/confirmation #, date, and location of the test center.
the score is not actually cancelled, it rather just simply doesn't show anywhere, but the score is still being stored on the gmac's servers.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thank you. I will try to do that, but I didn't get a code either. I just emailed them to find out more.

Do you happen to know if an enhanced score report for a canceled score also has a score for the essay on it?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Silviax wrote:
Thank you. I will try to do that, but I didn't get a code either. I just emailed them to find out more.

Do you happen to know if an enhanced score report for a canceled score also has a score for the essay on it?

No, enhanced score report has information only on IR/Q/V. It is generated from your "unofficial" score report.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11664 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Silviax wrote:

Do you think that since my ability level is within +/- 30 points I will never cross the 600 mark? That's a really depressing thought. :cry:

My applications need to be out by the end of this year so I have a little bit of time left.

Hi Silviax,

You could very easily be in the low-600s right now, BUT you're making too many silly/little mistakes on Test Day and they're costing you all of the points that you're looking for. You really don't need to correctly answer any of the hard/advanced/weird questions to hit your score goal, BUT you do have to eliminate the little mistakes from your work. The 'fix' for that issue often involves taking more/better notes and doing ALL of your work on the pad (NOTHING in your head!), but it's likely that you need more of a consistent process when working through Quant and Verbal questions. From your Scaled Scores, it looks like you're 'winging it' on Test Day; it's tough to score at a high level on a consistent, predictable Exam if you work in that way.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
GMAT Club Bot