Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 06:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need suggestion for 2nd recommendation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Need suggestion for 2nd recommendation [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 12:30
Hi,

I am taking one recommendation from my current supervisor.However,for the 2nd recommendation,i am thinking of taking it from the division governor of toastmasters club.I have worked closely with him ( I am the vice president of the club).However,most of the schools want the 2nd recommendation to be of professional nature.Should i take it from him or take it from the supervisor of my previous project(even he can provide a good recommendation).

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need suggestion for 2nd recommendation [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 13:29
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi Shreeraj,

If the school specifies that the recommendation should be from a professional relation, then I would probably play it safe and take from your previous project manager. If they do not specify, and if you feel that the Toastmaster Club contact will provide a truly unique and value-add perspective on you as a leader, team player, etc., then go for that one!

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 151

Re: Need suggestion for 2nd recommendation [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2013, 00:49
Thanks for the reply!
Also to add,i am applying with a 630 score(Q39,V37) to cornell,NUS and emory by month end.I will be retaking GMAT and sending the updated scores by 1st week of feb(provided they are higher).I have 4.5 years of work ex as a SAP Energy consultant in Accenture.Won 2 international competitions and also have good extra curriculars.
I have spoken to the admissions team and they are ok with it.Am i acting too ambitious?
Do you think this is a good plan?Also,last year i had applied to cornell using gre score(now expired) but got rejected after interview.
Should i be changing everything in the essays and select new recommeders or stick to those recommenders and make few changes in essays?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need suggestion for 2nd recommendation [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2013, 19:20
Expert's post
Hi Shreeraj,

Ok so it sounds like you are a reapplicant to Cornell, but that you've only made minimal changes to your application. It's pretty difficult for me to answer that question since I haven't seen your first application. The real key thing to do is to show how you've improved your profile and show that you've grown professionally, as a leader, etc. over that time. You need to pinpoint the weaknesses in that first application and really show that you've addressed those this time around. That can be achieved with new essays that showcase new experiences you've had or a new career narrative you've landed on, it could be achieved with a new recommendation from a manager that recently staffed you on a project, or it could be a achieved with an updated letter from the same recommender as last year, but with lots of great updates about your recent progress. I can't say without seeing your application and knowing you better, and unfortunately, that service doesn't fall within the scope of this forum :)

As for whethery you are being too ambitious: it seems like you have a good range of programs there, but I would suggest adding some safer schools to the list in case you do not improve your GMAT score.

Hope this helps,
Mili