Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need suggestions for schools

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

Need suggestions for schools [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 03:28
Nationality : Nepalese
GMAT1 : 660(Q = 50 and V = 29)
GMAT2 : 730(Q = 50 and V = 38)

Currently , I am working for Computer Science Corporation in Chennai as an assistant software engineer . I did my B-tech in IT from some place in India.
My CGPI is 8.12/10 . I wanted to apply for MS in Finance and have shortlisted few schools as well . But it would be great if someone can evaluate my profile and suggests some suitable schools . Anyways , The following are schools which I have selected.

1 . Boston University : I received a mail from this uni urging me to apply to this program . They specifically mentioned that that they wanted a diversity in their program and me being a Nepalese would help . I don't if this is a genuine mail or they mail it to most of the people.

2 . Rensselaer Poly technique Uni

3 . CMU

4. Vanderbilt

5. Baruch.

6. UIUC

7. SDA Bocconi

8 . LSE

9 . LBS.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Need suggestions for schools [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 17:06
Expert's post
Hey Raths:
my initial observation is that your school choices tend to be a little all over the place -- especially with respect to geography. Besides learning a lot of hard-core financial concepts, I believe that the overarching goal here is to get a better and higher paying job. So I would encourage you to think about this -- attend a school that is located in a city or area that has access to the types of jobs and industries you want to get upon graduation. So, if you want to work on Wall Street, there is no sense in going to a school in Europe.
All in all, do not let the tail wag the dog. It is great that Boston University wants more Nepalese applicants. However, you need to recognize that that may not be an asset in your journey to build the career you want.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Raths wrote:
Nationality : Nepalese
GMAT1 : 660(Q = 50 and V = 29)
GMAT2 : 730(Q = 50 and V = 38)

Currently , I am working for Computer Science Corporation in Chennai as an assistant software engineer . I did my B-tech in IT from some place in India.
My CGPI is 8.12/10 . I wanted to apply for MS in Finance and have shortlisted few schools as well . But it would be great if someone can evaluate my profile and suggests some suitable schools . Anyways , The following are schools which I have selected.

1 . Boston University : I received a mail from this uni urging me to apply to this program . They specifically mentioned that that they wanted a diversity in their program and me being a Nepalese would help . I don't if this is a genuine mail or they mail it to most of the people.

2 . Rensselaer Poly technique Uni

3 . CMU

4. Vanderbilt

5. Baruch.

6. UIUC

7. SDA Bocconi

8 . LSE

9 . LBS.

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 18

Re: Need suggestions for schools [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 18:16
Okay...if it is with respect to getting return on investment thing...Can you suggest me something . I did search few of the unis in New York but most of them require GRE score and have explicitly mentioned that they won't even consider the GMAT score .
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 195

Re: Need suggestions for schools [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 23:03
Expert's post
Raths wrote:
Okay...if it is with respect to getting return on investment thing...Can you suggest me something . I did search few of the unis in New York but most of them require GRE score and have explicitly mentioned that they won't even consider the GMAT score .

Hi Raths:
I believe you are asking for me to suggest a number of schools based on based on ROI. However, this is something that is impossible for me to do and have it be of any use for you. An ROI calculation requires that you estimate some sort of future value or return, given your investment in an MBA. You have to determine how much you think you will make in a future career. I can't really come up with this. Even if I were able to - it would still be a disservice to you - as you are the one who really needs to take an interest in figure out what you want to do and how much you will eventually be able to make doing it. So when you figure out what you will do with your MS in Finance degree, then estimate a salary and use an online ROI calculator to figure out your return.
Right now, I am only telling you that the probably of realizing this ROI is greater in locations where more jobs are located. If you find a school with a good return, then take the GRE and attend.
Good luck!

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

Paul Lanzillotti | Founder| About | mba@amerasiaconsulting.com | 877.866.9251

Schedule a Consultation | Twitter | Blog

Download "How To Apply" Guides | INSEAD | Columbia | Harvard | Wharton

Re: Need suggestions for schools   [#permalink] 07 Feb 2011, 23:03