Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 05:40
Hello everyone,

I took GMAT in February, but I was working full-time and taking a full-time load of classes to complete my bachelor’s degree. I had limited time to study, so I ended-up with a 400. My Quant and Verbal scores were relatively close. I applied to four relatively competitive business schools anyway, on the basis that I have a 3.9 GPA, 13 years of professional experience, recommendations, ect… I was hoping that my other qualifications and application materials would compensate for my low GMAT score. Well, unfortunately they didn’t. I have been rejected by two of the four schools so far, and one of the schools stated that the primary reason for my rejection was my GMAT score. The school stated that if I retook the GMAT and resubmitted the results, they would reevaluate the application for Fall 2010. The school is looking for a 600.

I have five weeks to study and prepare to retake the GMAT. I was going to take the Princeton Review Prep class, but I don’t think I can pull the money together to sign-up. I am dedicated to bringing my score up and just finished my bachelor’s program, so I will not have evenings and weekends free now. I was planning on studying 3-4 hours every week night and then taking a test every Saturday. I already have a bunch of books, but I need to develop an effective study routine. I took the GMAT prep exam prior to taking the actual test and received a 500, so there may be some differences in the problems, or environmental factors when I take the actual test. Either way, I need to improve on my test taking speed and knowledge of the material.

I have already signed-up to retake the GMAT. I am dedicated to bringing my score up to a 600 in five weeks. Please help by offering advice, suggestions, recommendations, techniques, ect… This will be much appreciated!

I already have the following books:

The Official Guide for GMAT Review
The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review
The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review
Manhattan GMAT Word Translations Guide
The Princeton Review: Cracking the GMAT

Thank you!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 454 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:22
Well, my only advice will be to do the CATs as many as possible. If you can go for 15 CATs, I think it will help you a lot.

The timing strategy can only be applied if you have done a number of CATs.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:35
My advice is to stick with OG for the prepping.

Truth of the matter is - there's no strict way of studying. Most people can pull together everything in 2 months or shorter, provided that they really put in those hours. I understand you have work and school at the same time; however, you're going to have to sacrifice some time for GMAT. Your GMAT score has a huge room for improvement and if you're willing to dedicate at least an hour or two per day to GMAT, I think you'll see a substantial increase in your overall score.

Good luck! YOU CAN DO IT! :-D

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 12:07
Thank you for the feedback bakfed and Hussain15!
I apologize for the typo. I meant to say that I will have evenings and weekends free now to dedicate to GMAT preparation. I just graduated from my bachelor’s program. I was juggling work and school full-time before I took the GMAT last time. I will have much more “free” time now, and I will be able to focus more.

I agree with both of you. I am planning to study the OG and Manhattan GMAT books three hours each night during the week. I am also going to keep an error log for the questions that I get wrong. I think that some of my problem is my anxiety during the timed CAT, so I am going to need to really become comfortable and move quickly on the test. I am planning to take 2 CATs a week (Saturday and Sunday.) This will amount to 10 CATs in five weeks. The CATs that I will be concentrating on will be GMATPrep, PowerPrep, GMATClub, ManhattanGMAT, and Princeton Review. I am going to try my best to simulate the actual GMAT environment and procedure as well.

So far, this is my plan. How does this sound? Any other suggestions would be wonderful. Anyone? :)

Thank you!
1 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 204 [1] , given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 15:16
This post received
KUDOS
I think, in a time crunch, your plan is good. Just make sure that you don't get burnt out taking all the CATs on weekends (it's really ambitious to take 1 CAT per day per weekend). However, if you really stick through it, make sure that you go back to the CAT and understand why you get something wrong. I'd review all the questions because there's bound to be question that you guessed right. Also understand that GMATPrep may be the best indicator of your score, as other prep programs' CATs may be harder than what you'd really see (such as the CATs from MGMAT). [you should definitely still practice the CAT from other prep programs, but just don't look into the score too much]

Re: Need to Bring GMAT Score Up to 600 in 5 Weeks- Please Advise   [#permalink] 30 Mar 2010, 15:16