Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 06:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications...

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 14:51
Have heard that applying for "reaches" in the 1st round is the best way to get into them (heard ~3?). Can you please analyze my profile and suggest which schools to look at for "reaches"?

White Male, Age 24
GPA: 3.2 (uptrend - 3.5 last 2 years), double-major in Finance and History, Top 40 National University (US News)
GMAT: Will be taking the GMAT in late August - assume a 650-700 score
Work Experience: 3 years at a bulge bracket investment bank in NYC in investment banking (as opposed to trading/back office)
Undergrad Extra-Curricular: Navy ROTC freshman year (killed my GPA), rugby 2 years, worked at school to offset daily living costs 3 years, abroad 1 semester
Post-Grad Extra-curricular: Have been working with Manhattan Boy Scout Troops (am an Eagle Scout myself) Goal after MBA: Investing (buy-side) in developing country infrastructure (roads, power plants, etc.)

Any additional feedback would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

-------------------------------
"The end of Tom Powers is the end of every hoodlum. 'The Public Enemy' is, not a man, nor is it a character -- it is a problem that sooner or later we, the public, must solve."

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 206 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 14:57
CitizenKane1941 wrote:
Have heard that applying for "reaches" in the 1st round is the best way to get into them (heard ~3?). Can you please analyze my profile and suggest which schools to look at for "reaches"?

White Male, Age 24
GPA: 3.2 (uptrend - 3.5 last 2 years), double-major in Finance and History, Top 40 National University (US News)
GMAT: Will be taking the GMAT in late August - assume a 650-700 score
Work Experience: 3 years at a bulge bracket investment bank in NYC in investment banking (as opposed to trading/back office)
Undergrad Extra-Curricular: Navy ROTC freshman year (killed my GPA), rugby 2 years, worked at school to offset daily living costs 3 years, abroad 1 semester
Post-Grad Extra-curricular: Have been working with Manhattan Boy Scout Troops (am an Eagle Scout myself) Goal after MBA: Investing (buy-side) in developing country infrastructure (roads, power plants, etc.)

Any additional feedback would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Congrats on the Eagle Scout! I'd totally put that on the application! (No, I'm not being sarcastic)

The ballpark of your GMAT score (650-700) actually makes a big difference. Had it been 600-650, it would've been easier. However, all depends on where you want to go. Do you have a list in mind? A 700 will pretty much put you in consideration for some of the top b-schools in the nation; however, a 650 won't keep you out, but you'd be facing an uphill battle. Keep in mind that in this economy, a lot of finance guys are going back to school to look for another way out. So the number of applicants from your industry will be more than that from pharma/biotech industry (as is pretty much always the case anyway). If you have a list of schools that you're interested in, as well the list of your own "reaches", please share here and I'm sure we'll be able to better gauge at your chance of admission.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:03
Thanks, it was a lot of work, haha.

Really not sure at this point but going down the list of top 25, these stick out in particular:

Stanford
Penn
Dartmouth
MIT
Columbia
Yale
Berkeley
NYU
UVA
Duke
Cornell
UNC
Georgetown

"The end of Tom Powers is the end of every hoodlum. 'The Public Enemy' is, not a man, nor is it a character -- it is a problem that sooner or later we, the public, must solve."

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:12
CitizenKane1941 wrote:
Thanks, it was a lot of work, haha.

Really not sure at this point but going down the list of top 25, these stick out in particular:

Stanford
Penn
Dartmouth
MIT
Columbia
Yale
Berkeley
NYU
UVA
Duke
Cornell
UNC
Georgetown

For the top 10 b-schools in the nation, a 700 on GMAT puts you on a completely different caliber from a 650. So the range you provided actually cuts right in between the dotted line. I'd aim for anything over 700, given your lower GPA. I think with a 700 (or above), you'd have a shot in gaining admission to the top 16 b-schools in the nation, granted that there's always luck involved for schools in the top 10. Again, you'll want to distinguish yourself from the many-more finance applicants coming from banks, who has a post-MBA goal of going into financial industry. Talk about your leadership/managerial abilities on your application, and again, I'd certainly mention about Boy Scouts. An Eagle Scout is really not just a name, but years of dedication. I see that as an important trait in someone.

Intern
Intern

Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 15:57
Thank you for your insight - very helpful.

Do you know which of these schools have a better reputation for buy-side firm recruiting?

Retired Moderator

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications... [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 19:28
sorry, but I am not familiar with the actual financial industry within b-school...I'd hate to just bs an answer out.

Re: Need to Figure Out 1st Round Applications...   [#permalink] 20 Jul 2010, 19:28