Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:14 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 928 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Need to get 600+ in 3 weeks!! [#permalink]
Hello Sameena,

Why dont you find out the number of the wrong ones sectionwise?
I mean how many SCs , CRs and so on ....

In case you make most of the mistakes in SC / DS , you may concentrate on these areas for some time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Thanks for your reply.

Actually I am off work for the past 2 months and have been studying the whole day pretty much every day. I am doing exactly the same thing as you have suggested.

Re-viewing my mistakes after the tests and spending sufficient time to understand them so that I dont repeat such mistakes.

Have split my work into Verbal and Quant.

Took a test yesterday again and got a 430 (q28 v22), I did not answer the last 6 questions in quant and was distracted at times with my Husband asking me things inbetween. On the verbal, I could have got a hell lot of questions right, I narrowed down to the 2 most probable choices and chose the wrong one (in most cases I chose the wrong one after first marking the right one). I am pretty confident I can up my verbal score to a 40 because what I can see is I know the approach and the method and when it boils down to choosing the right answer between 2 final choices, I chose the wrong one (they both seem very fitting to be the answer), SC is good at the moment and I am scoring around the 70% range.

CR is also fine with around 60% accuracy and with a little more practice I can go up to 70%. (I TEND TO CHOOSE THE WRONG ANSWER BETWEEN TWO ON CR MOSTLY).

The only area which I need to improve in verbal is the RC where my scoring rate is only about 55%. I shall learn the approaches well and give time to practice so that I can improve.

On the QUANT section, I really need to improve my timing, my scoring rate now is around 60% and I do not complete the section in time, so with practice may be I can up it to about 75%.

I've got 3 weeks to go and would like to know what if I can reach my target score of 600+ with practice, I am willing to work very hard and do any kind of practice to achieve my goal.

Please advice

Regards

Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Stanford, Harvard, Berkeley, INSEAD
Send PM
Hi Sam, my advice would be to move the exam ahead a lot of weeks and to take a breather. 8 hours a day? For 2 months? My guess is you've burned yourself out. There is such a thing as studying too hard! Take a week or two off, plan your approach, and come back strong.

Realistically a 130 point jump in 3 weeks is a stretch. Your Verbal is low, but then again write a GMATPrep and see what it says, any other CAT is unreliable. If you only nail 50% of RC questions that's a huge deficiency on the GMAT, something that would definitely keep your Verbal in the 20's.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sameena wrote:
I did not answer the last 6 questions in quant and was distracted at times with my Husband asking me things inbetween.

I would suggest you to write the test again , but make sure you are alone with the Gmatprep and there is no one to disturb you.
bb wrote:
On the QUANT section, I really need to improve my timing,

I always follow this for timeing and it always helps:

Questions--Start---Stop 
1-10--------1:15---0:55 
11-20------0:55----0:35 
21-30------0:35----0:15 
31-37/41--0:15----0:00 

make sure you follow this timing chert when you sit for the test this time. The chart looks pretty simple but require a little amount of practice.

Please check the Gmatprep score this time , if with no disturbance and good timing strategy you still have less than expected scores (70% and below) , I would suggest you to stop taking the tests for some time , review the wrong answers , study the basics again for them and then take the test again.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree with Hades , see if you can take a couple of weeks off from GMAT...
I take every Wednesday off....it really helps.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Hi Sam one thing you must realise is that you absolutely MUST finish the test. Under no situation should you leave a few questions unanswered. If you leave 5-6 questions unanswered the penalty that gmat throws at you is very severe. You can easily lose 100 points if you dont finish the actual test (did this happen in the real thing ?). If a question gets too hard, guess and move on. But definitely finish the test. Good luck.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Oh thank you all for your replies.

I could take a few days off but as I really wanna join B school this year, I dont want to miss out the chance, I am looking to study in Europe as I am a european union passport holder and formalities will be much easier than other candidates. I am looking at either the SEP or JAN intake which schools offer.

I am again reviewing my mistakes and also gonna try some different techniques for the RC and CR and see if I can up my verbal score, I shall also practice my timing and see if I can improve my quant score as well. Its not that I am weak in either section but when it comes to taking tests I really make blunders but when practising under normal conditions I really breeze through the questions with the right answers.
Please please advice as to what I can do so that I can take my test on 22nd scheduled for now and join B school this year

Regards

:) Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 392
Concentration: Accounting, Leadership
Schools: Erasmus '19
GMAT 1: 410 Q18 V27
GMAT 2: 490 Q35 V23
Send PM
Need to get 600+ in 3 weeks!! [#permalink]
bb wrote:
* Take full tests on weekends - the AWA too to simulate the real test experience. Review your mistakes and invest at least an hour into questions you did not know, guessed, or got wrong

Hey bb - how reasonable it is to take a CAT every weekend?

I think it's good to build stamina and practice one's test taking skills. However, it seems to me that it would be quite challenging to review all the questions one have missed before the next CAT.
GMAT Club Bot
Need to get 600+ in 3 weeks!! [#permalink]