Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:57 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11666 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Need to improve CR score [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi hsambiguity,

Test Day is a rather specific 'event' - the details are specific and they matter, so you have to train as best as you can for all of them. The more realistic you can make your CATs, the more likely the score results are to be accurate. The more you deviate, the more "inflated" your scores can become - and that's potentially what has happened here. By skipping sections and taking the CATs at home, you haven't properly trained for the FULL GMAT 'experience.' As such, this recent CAT result might not be completely accurate.

Thankfully, this is a relatively easy set of problems to fix. The big question now is "how long will it take you to properly get 'used to' taking the full GMAT in a realistic fashion?"

1) How have you scored on your other CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores)?
2) What study materials do you current have?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1368 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
hsambiguity wrote:
Hello Experts,

I have my GMAT after a month and my target score is Q48,V40. I gave one mock (MGMAT2) today and scored 680 (Q45,V37). I'm confident that with more practice, I'll be able to score Q48 in actual exam but Verbal is giving me nightmares!! For past 1 month, I have concentrated most of my preparation on Verbal only. Sentence Correction score seems to have gone up but CR score is not improving :(
Presently, my CR accuracy is ~60%. I have read Power score CR bible once and made notes from each chapter. I'm not sure how should I proceed further. I am doing CR questions (OG/GMATPrep collection) and analyzing the answers but I really feel that there is something missing in my prep. I'm not able to devise any strategy for CR. Please advise.
Thanks.

Hi hsambiguity,

You need to drill down deep into each problem type and understand where you are going wrong.

SC: The questions test various concepts such as S-V agreement, modifiers, parallelism etc. Find out what troubles you.
CR: There might be certain types of questions that are troubling you. May be Assumption, may be conclusion, inference etc.
You need to find that out and then practice them
RC: This again can be drilled down into different types of questions and also different topics. See what questions and topics trouble you the most and then practice accordingly.
Quants: Again try to break the questions in topics such as Algebra, Number system (very important), Geometry, PnC etc.

As an addition, start preparing an error log and keep a note of all the mistakes you made and the lessons you learnt from the problems. This will ensure you do not make the same mistake again.

Make sure you complete all of the OG and the Verbal review and if required, you can buy the Question pack1 from mba.com
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi hsambiguity,

For CR, we recommend a visual framework approach to help you understand the complex short passages and how each item relates to each other.

Here is a video describing the visual framework approach: https://www.gmatpill.com/criticalreasoni ... Estate.mp4

Best of luck on your studies!
GMAT Club Bot