Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 18:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need to improve GMAT quick

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Need to improve GMAT quick [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2006, 13:22
Hello all,
Currently I am waitlisted at Duke, and I think that improving my GMAT score would significantly improve my chances of getting in. If it doesn't it will help me out for the next year when I apply to other MBA programs. So I have taken the test twice, the first time I score a 650 (49Q, 29V). The second time around I improved very slightly to a 670 (48Q, 34V). I am in the 80% range but the problem is my GPA is pretty low as well (3.0). I need a >700 score to offset my GPA so that there are really no questions about my candidature.

Now I have tried studying on my own but I think that is not working out properly. On my own I think I could get a >700 but it would take time that I do not have so I have decided to look into taking a course. A short, intensive course. And i wanted to get the opinions of those who have either taken a GMAT course or even private tutoring to give me some direction. Which course (preferably short intensive courses) are good and provide someone like me (on the cusp of 700) that extra umph to break the 700 barrier? Veritas, Kaplan, Princeton Review, Powerscore? I looked around for a sticky which might talk about the various courses on GMATCLUB and couldn't find it. Any info is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Forget Duke [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2006, 20:15
There are plenty of other schools in Carolina you can consider instead, try Wafe Forrest, Clemson or NC. You might even get scholarship money...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 07:17
This is not a bad score though. Can you give me some tips how you got that score? I am a science and math person all through my life but i am not good at math. Plss post your tips so that i can get al least 600.
Abu
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2006, 13:36
MA466 wrote:
This is not a bad score though. Can you give me some tips how you got that score? I am a science and math person all through my life but i am not good at math. Plss post your tips so that i can get al least 600.
Abu

I cannot say thatI did anything specific. I think for quant especially a lot of people focus sooo much on things like permutations/combinations and the other "hard stuff" that they forget to focus on the basics. Algebra, work problems, etc. The bottom line is if you encounter these type of problems then you are doing well. Also do not be discouraged by the fact that you may not be able to answer the hard math questions on this forum.

"No! Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try.

[#permalink] 12 Mar 2006, 13:36