Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Aug 2014, 05:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 11

Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 11:40
I just took a practice GMAT prep test and got a 640 (47Q 30V) (Missed 13 in the Quant section and 15 in the Verbal) I think my Quantitative score is in a pretty good range (isn't 47 usually in a 700 scoring range?) but I obviously need to do something about my Verbal Score.

I'm taking the exam on June 5th.

My problem is that I just don't know where to start with Verbal... I feel like with Math, you understand the concepts, and you can just apply them, but I have trouble bringing that over to the Verbal section.

Does anyone have any suggestions for study methods or materials? I REALLY need to get atleast a 730 to be competitive in the schools I'm applying to. Also, let me know if the Quant still isn't up to par.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:31
SnehaC wrote:
I just took a practice GMAT prep test and got a 640 (47Q 30V) (Missed 13 in the Quant section and 15 in the Verbal) I think my Quantitative score is in a pretty good range (isn't 47 usually in a 700 scoring range?) but I obviously need to do something about my Verbal Score.

I'm taking the exam on June 5th.

My problem is that I just don't know where to start with Verbal... I feel like with Math, you understand the concepts, and you can just apply them, but I have trouble bringing that over to the Verbal section.

Does anyone have any suggestions for study methods or materials? I REALLY need to get atleast a 730 to be competitive in the schools I'm applying to. Also, let me know if the Quant still isn't up to par.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Sneha,
IMO, i would say you need to score atleast 750s on the sample tests if you want to score a 730 on the real test. This is just to help you account for exam day nerves. Whether you like it or not you may be affected by it. I wrote my test 10 days ago. i was consistently hitting 700 in my practice tests especially the last 4-5 tests. In my real test i scored 660. My practice tests scores were q 47-49 and v 37-39. On the real test i scored 37 in v and 45 on q.
My score dropped 40 points. I plan to retake the test in fall. I am looking for a 720+ (basically above 85%) in both sections.
Practice will help you identify concepts in verbal. Look around Gmatclub for verbal resources. For concept itself, try the manhattan gmat SC book. Also, the manhattan gmat forums are a good place too.

This is my experience, hope it helps.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:38
mbafall2011 - would be able to share which practice test you are using ? Got scared by seeing your experience. I am also scoring at the range of 700 in the practice test. Target is to go for 720+. I am using Manhattan and GmatPrep so far. Not sure how it will boil down to in the actual test.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 33

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help! [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2010, 13:50
msand wrote:
mbafall2011 - would be able to share which practice test you are using ? Got scared by seeing your experience. I am also scoring at the range of 700 in the practice test. Target is to go for 720+. I am using Manhattan and GmatPrep so far. Not sure how it will boil down to in the actual test.

I was using Manhattan GMAT and GMAT prep. I did the one free test on Gmat club and that was very accurate in terms of percentile.

Have you already booked your date. In my case, i had somethings going on which forced me to either give my exam now or i had to postpone it till nov. I thought i was doing well on the practice tests. One fact i missed was that the Manhattan gmat scores were always below 40. I should have seen this coming but nevertheless i kept hoping things will be good in the real test.

In my case, after my awa, i spent 2 minutes extra outside in the lobby by accident. they tell you that you have 8 minutes but i didnt have a watch and by the time i was checked in i was over by 2 minutes. This caused me to panic for the first 10 questions. Probably the cause of my downfall but- all that happens happens for the best so i shall try again and hopefully prepare better. I got a 6 in my AWA! that was rewarding!

If you have booked your date, i would say give it anyway. If you havent booked your date, then GMAT Prep is an accurate representation of the real test. Also, one thing that i havent seen mentioned anywhere is -
You dont get blank scratch paper. You get a glossy writing sheet at least in the US (SF bay area) with sharpie like pens. The paper has lines- both horizontal and vertical which was annoying me as at times i couldnt tell what i had written 1 or 4 or something else.
Second: Practice test should be written with industrial strength headphones- the ones that cancel noise(not the battery operated ones that you use on planes- more like the kind you use when you are in the lab or using a leaf blower). You will get these in home depot etc. That headphone is kinda tight and applies pressure on your head.

Good luck. Let me know how it goes.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help! [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 04:00
good thought......
julia
Re: Need to improve Verbal in one month - Please help!   [#permalink] 23 Apr 2010, 04:00