Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 17 Sep 2014, 12:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need to know whether I can apply for a good B school

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Need to know whether I can apply for a good B school [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2012, 18:04
Hi,
I have done
BCA(bachelor of computer applications) , a 3yrs degree (1999-2001), India
And worked in HSBC, india for nearly 4yrs as Customer service executive(Feb 2005- Nov2008)
While working joined in MBA (HR & Finance) through correspondence(distance mode) and finished in 2010.
In nov2008 got married so resigned the job.From then till date could not get back to work due to personal reasons.
I had recieved a good percentage in my BCA degree(83%) , but not so great in MBA(around 60%).I was a star performer in HSBC(was known for my performance)
Now, I am in Illinios, US for the past one year and I have all the time required to concentrate on my career.
I want to get back to work but i know i cant , because of the gap and also because i dont have revelant experience in either finance or hr .So , i want to make myself up-to-date by doing a full time MBA program to attend an interview and to get back to the job market .
I want to know whether I can apply for the good b schools in IL,like university of Chicago,Booth or university of IL,Urbana . Is there any chance of me getting admission in any of the these schools?
I am currently not working , will it effect my admission ?
I will really be grateful if you can please guide me in regards this

Thank you
Expert Post
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Need to know whether I can apply for a good B school [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 09:30
Expert's post
Hi,

Thanks for sharing your profile. Unfortunately, a gap from employment does affect your candidacy. Top schools are not just looking for strong professional leadership and performance, though; they are also looking for strong academic performance and strong extracurricular and community leadership. I would suggest that given the type of role you held at HSBC (customer service) and the gap in employment, combined with the fact that you already have an MBA and that you don't have strong extracurricular and leadership experience, an MBA from a top university may be out of reach. Urbana might be possible, but it will also depends on your GMAT score in terms of which programs you'd be able to gain admissions for.

Best of luck,
Mili

Mili Mittal
Senior Consultant
http://www.mbamission.com

Read the mbaMission Insider's Guides (16 individual school titles)

Download mbaMission’s Free Personal Statement Guide

Visit the mbaMission Blog

Follow mbaMission on Twitter