Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

need to pass 'unknown' hurdle

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
need to pass 'unknown' hurdle [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 15:13
hi,

I experienced 15 point decrease in my verbal score during my second GMAT attempt from my last GMATPrep score: V35 to V20. I've been trying to find where I went wrong and what/how do i need to attack, but i couldn't. Since some of you who are struggling or struggled with GMAT may find following questions familiar, please feel free to provide any feedback or answers or suggestions or new questions to consider.

What to do when:
    you find all strategies in your head or while practicing but can't implement the strategy or can't get the target score?
    you find all concepts or strategies familiar and don't feel like going through them again?
    you see vast difference in accuracy while practicing compared to accuracy or score in practice CAT?
    you experience big drop in real gmat compared to previous GMATPrep?
    you see that 'most' incorrect questions in practice could have been answered easily with no time pressure?
    you can't find a reason why you can't or didn't implement a strategy during the test?

I'm kind of confused and frustrated with GMAT and preparing for GMAT but definitely want to give another shot to give myself better chance to get into a B school.

Thanks
RG

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 46

Re: need to pass 'unknown' hurdle [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2011, 15:28
you see that 'most' incorrect questions in practice could have been answered easily with no time pressure?
you can't find a reason why you can't or didn't implement a strategy during the test?

- I also found the above 2 issues during my preperation and i guess, the answer to these are a) more practice b) more focus.

Cheers!
Aj.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What you do TODAY is important because you're exchanging a day of your life for it!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: need to pass 'unknown' hurdle [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 12:26
There is always time and pressure. If we had unlimited time, the scores would skew even higher than they already do.

Also, what you're saying is very common for GMAT test takers "I know my weak areas but I don't know how to fix them." This is why we stress keeping a proper error log. An error log helps you identify the WHY aspect of timing/answering problems incorrectly. Overcoming this is key to getting past certain milestones.

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Status: My Thread Master Bschool Threads-->Krannert(Purdue),WP Carey(Arizona),Foster(Uwashngton)
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 150 [0], given: 57

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: need to pass 'unknown' hurdle [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:10
Focus, Time management and make learning fun!!!!

General GMAT useful links-->

Indian Bschools Accepting Gmat | My Gmat Daily Diary | All Gmat Practice CAT's | MBA Ranking 2013 | How to Convert Indian GPA/ Percentage to US 4 pt. GPA scale | GMAT MATH BOOK in downloadable PDF format| POWERSCORE CRITICAL REASONING BIBLE - FULL CHAPTER NOTES | Result correlation between GMAT and GMAT Club's Tests | Best GMAT Stories - Period!

More useful links-->

GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios| GMAT and MBA 101|Everything You Need to Prepare for the GMAT|New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>|GMAT ToolKit: iPhone/iPod/iPad/Android application|

Verbal Treasure Hunt-->

"Ultimate" Study Plan for Verbal on the GMAT|Books to Read (Improve Verbal Score and Enjoy a Good Read)|Best Verbal GMAT Books 2012|Carcass Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section|Ultimate GMAT Grammar Book from GC club [Free Download]|Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia|Souvik's The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official-SC|ALL SC Rules+Official Qs by Experts & Legendary Club Members|Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik|Critical Reasoning Shortcuts and Tips|Critical Reasoning Megathread!|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- CR|GMAT Club's Reading Comprehension Strategy Guide|The Most Comprehensive Collection Of Everything Official- RC|Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia|ALL RC Strategy+Official Q by Experts&Legendary Club Members

----
---
--
-

1 KUDOS = 1 THANK

Kick Ass Gmat

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V25
GMAT 2: 560 Q47 V20
GMAT 3: 600 Q47 V25
GMAT 4: 680 Q49 V34
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 32

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: need to pass 'unknown' hurdle [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 13:19
Thanks guys.

I kept an error log of my verbal CR and SC while practicing questions from OG12 and Verbal 2nd edition. I did fairly well and didn't have one big weakness per error log. Moreover, 2nd GMAT attempt was really heartbreaking and has hurt my ego. It's painful to face the defeat from gmat, which i'm not accustomed to. Who would like to accept a defeat?

Probably, this is the reason I couldn't figure out what went wrong. Also, I somehow realized that RC isn't as learnable as CR and SC are. So I went with my average reading habit and skills for RC. Needless to say that i'm not a james bond when it comes to RC. So i performed consistently inconsistent with RC.

Also, i'm mentally tired after practicing/focusing for this monster test for about an year now and probably, have new syndrome called gmat fatigue. After discussing with BB, i'm planning to focus on veritas CR books to get additional fresh questions for about 10 days starting from the day when books arrive.

In the mean time, I'll work on SC questions from GMATPrep document and my own custom questions from error log.

I'm feeling that working on passages is not going to help much; therefore I need to work on RC in more non traditional way by reading business/science magazines. I also have to be cautious that I don't get overwhelmed and that I achieve something from each week's dedicated preparation.

The only thing to feel good about was an increase in AWA score from 4.5 to 5. :)

Any commentary is welcome.

"Whether You Think You Can or Can't, You're Right"--Henry Ford
680 Debrief
600 Debrief
590 Debrief
My GMAT Journey

Re: need to pass 'unknown' hurdle   [#permalink] 17 Oct 2011, 13:19