Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 14 Sep 2014, 18:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........ [#permalink] New post 26 Feb 2014, 23:20
Hi

I got 680(q 50, v 31) at GMATPrep2 Test and want to score at least 700 on the real test.
The test is scheduled next week. Please suggest me some tips to improve verbal, I feel that I know the concepts and I have gone through all the standard books(Powerscore CR, MGMAT SC) as well as OG13, but some how the execution fails due to lack of understanding or lack of concentration(I don't know what's going wrong actually). I accept that there is no tailor made formula, the only approach is to work hard, but now it seems as hard work is not paying. When I review the test to check what mistakes have been there, I just say Oh god, what have I done... It was an easy question I missed it because I misunderstood it due to carelessness or due to confusion between two final choices, I practiced the similar type of problems, but somehow the verbal score is not going up.

The other thing I feel is SC, CR is ok, RC is a little bit tricky for me to handle.
Any tips or suggestions are well appreciated.

Other practice test scores are -
GmatPrep1 640 (q 48, v 31)
GmatPrep1 (Retake) 700 (q 49, v 35)
GmatPrep3(Exam Pack1) 640(q 49, v 28) (Verbal -4 mistakes and back to back mistakes in first 10 question)
GmatPrep4(Exam Pack1) 640(q 50, v 25) (Verbal -I tried to get first 10 questions right, I got just 1 wrong in first 10 questions, but ran out of time in the middle way)
GmatPrep2 680 (q 50, v 31) (Tried to maintain pace and difficulty, but got the first question wrong due to nervousness and one RC passage gone completely wrong so back to back mistakes were there)

MGMAT1 670 (q 44, v 37)
MGMAT2 680 (q 48, v 35)

Please tell me what is required to get a verbal score above 35 at least....

Thanks and Regards
Kiran Saxena
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Manhattan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 211

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 5

Re: Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........ [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2014, 23:08
Expert's post
Hmmm...Only a week doesn't leave you with much time to work with...

I think you had the right idea with your last take on the GMATPrep. Don't worry about missing the first question - that can happen and missing the first question won't prevent you from hitting your target score. Looks like RC is your area of weakness so you should invest some good practice time in that area. Make sure your initial read of the passage is focused on structure over details and take notes if you aren't already (notes that also focus on structure/main points over details).

When you see silly/simple mistakes, do your absolute best to categorize them and set a plan to avoid the mistake again. For example, if you make a mistake because you misread the last part of the problem, change your process to make sure you always fully ready each problem.

Focus on solid timing - using benchmarks can be very helpful here - because you can't maximize your score if you are rushing at the end.

Best of luck,
KW

Kyle Widdison | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | Utah

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile

Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........ [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2014, 02:00
KyleWiddison wrote:
Hmmm...Only a week doesn't leave you with much time to work with...

I think you had the right idea with your last take on the GMATPrep. Don't worry about missing the first question - that can happen and missing the first question won't prevent you from hitting your target score. Looks like RC is your area of weakness so you should invest some good practice time in that area. Make sure your initial read of the passage is focused on structure over details and take notes if you aren't already (notes that also focus on structure/main points over details).

When you see silly/simple mistakes, do your absolute best to categorize them and set a plan to avoid the mistake again. For example, if you make a mistake because you misread the last part of the problem, change your process to make sure you always fully ready each problem.

Focus on solid timing - using benchmarks can be very helpful here - because you can't maximize your score if you are rushing at the end.

Best of luck,
KW

Thanks KW, I have found your suggestions genuinely good and will surely try to take care of these suggestions and ...
I have retaken GmatPrep3 and the score was 760 (q 50, v 42), but I can definitely say that this was a very inflated score due to re-occurrences of previously done questions.

Regards
Kiran Saxena
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg '16, NUS

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........ [#permalink] New post 20 May 2014, 11:37
Hi

How much did you finally get? I am in a similar situation right now, my exam is a week away. The butterflies in my stomach are killing me.
Re: Need urgent advice, the real test is after one week........   [#permalink] 20 May 2014, 11:37