Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 08:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 273 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 03:16
I think our best performance comes when we enjoy doing something...atleast the case with me.
So tell urself that irrespective of the result, i am going to enjoy the test day experience...I am sure with the confidence you have, you will score well.
Best wishes for the exam and May god be with you.

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2012, 06:29
@ Abhi: Thanks!

@ Rajeev: You are right. I said the same to myself in the last two mocks I gave and saw the difference there only. Thanks. I am going to enjoy it :)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 152

Kudos [?]: 500 [0], given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2012, 12:26
prishkam wrote:
@ Abhi: Thanks!

@ Rajeev: You are right. I said the same to myself in the last two mocks I gave and saw the difference there only. Thanks. I am going to enjoy it :)

Hi
sorry if I have offended you, wasn't my scope. I have made an assumptions that you visited the community since you have joined it. Give me a slap :)

Good luck with the GMAT and post you result here.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 286

Kudos [?]: 635 [0], given: 6

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2012, 09:34
Expert's post
It's March 12 - good luck on your exam today. Remember to keep your mental focus and come into each question with an attack strategy - that way you can finish the exam on time and efficiently.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 01:58
My GMAT Debrief: From 720 in the last Gmat prep to 610 in the real test---
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-720-in-the-last-gmat-prep-to-610-in-the-real-test-129206.html
Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 07:10
Karishma, Rajeev and others- I need some help again. By now you must have seen the GMAT debrief. I couldn't stop panicking on the day and screwed. But now I am a little baffled. I know I have to take the test before June. I infact would like to give it as soon as possible as I am currently in touch with the material and prep and strategies.

My question is where to start from- I have already exhausted the three OGs(except for RC section of OG-10?). I have done Manhattan SC and CR (which I think I'll revise). I have also taken all the MGMAT tests (Except one that I had to skip entirely). I have taken the GMAT prep tests and a couple of more tests. I am not sure where to start again and what to do again.

For mental strength and to make myself more positive and peaceful, I have thought of joining something that I enjoy doing the most and that helps in exercise also. That will start from Monday.

But apart from that I dont know from where to start. What to do. There are a couple of question pools like 1000 questions set for SC, DS and PS but I want to focus on verbal first. I just need more practice. I need to sit and give as many sectionals and as many mocks as possible. And more of verbal sectional. I am going to make a plan for the next 1 month but before doing that, I need your advice on what to focus on and what I should ignore for now.

A help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a ton for the help last time.
1 KUDOS received
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 307 [1] , given: 190

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 07:49
This post received
KUDOS
You seem to be in a hurry to get the GMAT out of your way. You have work experience of McKinsey which is awesome. All you need is a good GMAT score. So chill out. You are putting too much pressure on yourself by thinking GMAT is a damn important exam. Its just another exam and you can always retake(knowing the fact helps to remove undue stress). Lot of people bomb their GMAT and rock it the second time. Don't think that you need to get it out of your way ASAP, integrated reasoning is just a marketing hype. Rather than think that you will prepare for GMAT till you score 20 points above your target GMAT score.

http://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/2011/09/ ... al-setting

Another tip can be giving GMAT in a public space like library/cyber cafe etc.

Talking with girlfriend/boyfriend is helpful only when he/she is supportive of your goal. Sometimes its not the case.
One of my friend's significant other used to say : "You cracked this exam. Cool. You only talk to me when you crack some exam :).

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 08:25
Abhi, in a way you are right. I am trying to get GMAT out of my way. It is not my work on which I rely. I am working with an NGO also and I have some plans that demand a lot of time. The thing is that till this GMAT hammer is there on my head, I wouldn't be able to focus on them properly. I do have some lives to change out there and I dont want to wait for it any longer.

I know it puts additional pressure on me. But I dont even know how to get this out. My other half is infact the reason behind me giving GMAT. He is in IIMA and he infact is the biggest support I have but even he cant help me panicking (though he tries hard to suggest me ways).

I think your suggestion of giving it till I get 20 points above my target is good. In-fact today only I checked with American Library for their membership that provides internet connection as well. I am going to use it from next week on-wards for mocks.

To be true, I was for once sitting and evaluating my chances of getting in with this score and with the work I have done so far. I have worked in diverse areas and has always been into the social sector. Even after MBA/joint MA education etc. I plan to work in social sector only. But I am not sure it is good enough to get to the bschools I want to get in. I actually never worked for my profile and thus there are just so many thing and initiatives I have done but have no proofs or certificates for them but just people who could speak about them. This hesitates me from applying with this score. Also, I wouldn't get the scholarship with such a score.

Anyways, coming back to the point. I do want to improve the score and the chances. But I just dont feel like studying.may be it is only for today but yes, tomorrow is a new day. Thanks again!
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1072

Kudos [?]: 4778 [0], given: 163

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2012, 04:16
Expert's post
prishkam wrote:
Karishma, Rajeev and others- I need some help again. By now you must have seen the GMAT debrief. I couldn't stop panicking on the day and screwed. But now I am a little baffled. I know I have to take the test before June. I infact would like to give it as soon as possible as I am currently in touch with the material and prep and strategies.

My question is where to start from- I have already exhausted the three OGs(except for RC section of OG-10?). I have done Manhattan SC and CR (which I think I'll revise). I have also taken all the MGMAT tests (Except one that I had to skip entirely). I have taken the GMAT prep tests and a couple of more tests. I am not sure where to start again and what to do again.

For mental strength and to make myself more positive and peaceful, I have thought of joining something that I enjoy doing the most and that helps in exercise also. That will start from Monday.

But apart from that I dont know from where to start. What to do. There are a couple of question pools like 1000 questions set for SC, DS and PS but I want to focus on verbal first. I just need more practice. I need to sit and give as many sectionals and as many mocks as possible. And more of verbal sectional. I am going to make a plan for the next 1 month but before doing that, I need your advice on what to focus on and what I should ignore for now.

A help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a ton for the help last time.

Your GMAT prep Verbal score was 39 while in actual GMAT, your Verbal score was 24. I am a little flustered at the difference, to be honest. GMAT prep test Verbal is very similar to actual test Verbal. I think the ability is there, the execution is lacking. You have already realized many things you have learned from this GMAT experience e.g. one question doesn't change the game; even if you mess up last few questions, it cannot erase everything you did in the previous 33 questions etc.

Also, GMAT is a game of wits: yours against the software. Realize that it will try to throw you off. You just have to keep faith in yourself. You know that you will score 49 or so in Quant - it is your ability. It can only get better if you keep practicing. There is nothing to worry about. Until and unless you are on a Quant suicide mission (10 mins on one question), there is nothing that will go wrong (provided you keep practicing).

Instead, focus hard on Verbal. Try some new practice material to give you a fresh perspective. You might find some eye-openers when you look at the concepts from another perspective. Practice regularly.

Also, get involved in something which will help take the edge off, something that will take your mind off work and MBA for a while every day e.g. the tranquility of yoga/meditation or bloodthirsty urgings of rugby/ice hockey or whatever else works for you. Go out and have a life other than work and study. You will see renewed focus and willingness when you hit your books again.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2012, 09:37
Thanks Karishma. The point comes across quite clear. I am off GMAT for atleast this week. I just couldn't focus. And as you and Rajeev suggested, I did required this break. Though I can't take a break from work but it is fine. I have doing meditation with sports :). I do it at night though. I know weird time but that's the only time I have to myself post work!

Well yes, I do plan to practice a lot..and by that I mean a lot! I haven't thought about any strategy as of now. I'll get back on track next week and then will sort out the strategy. I do have some plans to give the test in a library (on saturday open though) that would give me a test day feel. I'll get back to the so helpful and brilliant forum and you once I start back again. Thanks a ton!
Re: Need urgent expert advice for GMAT on 12th march   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2012, 09:37