Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Jul 2014, 11:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need urgent help. Don't know where to start.

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Need urgent help. Don't know where to start. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 06:32
Hi everyone. I just need the opinions of people urgently. I graduated in 2009 with a degree in Bio with not so great of a GPA. I worked in a few odds jobs, but nothing I love. I have about 1.5 years of non-continuous work experience with no great accomplishments. I am only passionate about a few things. First of all, I love trading. Secondly, I love business related jobs where I can be creative. Think along the lines of advertising. Lastly, I love writing.

However, I can't break into any type of business careers that allow me to pursue my passions. With that in mind, what are my options? How can I become a trader or get into advertising? I know I can't get into top MBA with my currents qualifications. I've been considering the MSF, but it's around 65K total. Do I have a shot at part time MBA from very good schools?

Basically, I want to be either in trading or advertising. What's :roll: my most efficient (fastest+cheapest) option?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.91

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: Need urgent help. Don't know where to start. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 09:26
Do you currently have a full time job? Really good part-time MBA programs will want you to have one throughout the duration of the program. It is also worth noting that it is much harder to break into a new line of work from a part-time program, because internships are less common.

It seems to me that an MS would be your best option at this point. Have you taken the GMAT yet?
Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent help. Don't know where to start. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 10:54
I have taken the GMAT twice. Screwed up both times. 480 and 500. I don't lie to myself and realize that I have only myself to blame. Sort of. Personally, I find it very difficult to focus on studying for the GMAT. If I apply myself, I can break the 700 level, but like I said, it's very difficult to treat the study process like a real college course or a full time job. Do you think it's possible to break into trading or even advertising with a non-business degree?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 119

Kudos [?]: 560 [1] , given: 114

Re: Need urgent help. Don't know where to start. [#permalink] New post 05 May 2012, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
"Trading or Advertising" are two very different and very broad career catagories. Without any experience it can be hard to break into any career field, especially if you don't even know what you want to do in that field. Do you have your own trading accounts? Have you had an success? That might be a way to start to break in.

With a Bio degree, and no experience in the fields that you like, it is going to be hard to "break in". I mean, how much do you even know about advertising or trading? And how do you actually know that it's what you want to do? There are so few people that actually "trade" for a living, and even fewer that do this right out of school. Normally someone works for a company that does some type of trading or investing, and these are extremely tough careers to get into (think Ivy League).

Advertising on the other hand can be a little easier, but it depends on where/what you work in. But honestly, with no experience, what value would you bring to a company? Are you an expert designer or graphic artist? Do you understand marketing principles, market studies/research, or all the different areas of advertising. It's easy to think advertising is "creative" but in fact there are tons of business prinicipals and boring work that goes into any marketing or advertising campaign. To get into a "creative" position requires skill, hard work, and luck.

All this being said, you need some more education or excellent networking skills to even have a shot to get into one of these fields. And with the fact that you can't self motivate yourself to study for the GMAT makes it hard to think that you will self motivate yourself towards your career goals. You have to be 100% committed to get the most out of any school program, and it might be smart to start figuring out more of what you want to do.

I'd recommend contacting your college and seeing if you can see a career couselor. See if they can offer any help. And if not, you need to decide what you really want to do. THen committ 100%. Join networking clubs for that area, try to take classes or get into a school that will help you in that direction, try to find a mentor, network with family and friends, and don't stop until you know exactly what you want to do and get there. For experts in any career field, anyone that comes in and says "I want to do trading" will immediately know that you don't know what your talking about. Learn the field, live the field, and don't stop until you get where you want to be. Even with top education, no one will give you your dream job. It takes hard work and dedication.

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Need urgent help. Don't know where to start. [#permalink] New post 06 May 2012, 07:29
GMATLA wrote:
"Trading or Advertising" are two very different and very broad career catagories. Without any experience it can be hard to break into any career field, especially if you don't even know what you want to do in that field. Do you have your own trading accounts? Have you had an success? That might be a way to start to break in.

With a Bio degree, and no experience in the fields that you like, it is going to be hard to "break in". I mean, how much do you even know about advertising or trading? And how do you actually know that it's what you want to do? There are so few people that actually "trade" for a living, and even fewer that do this right out of school. Normally someone works for a company that does some type of trading or investing, and these are extremely tough careers to get into (think Ivy League).

Advertising on the other hand can be a little easier, but it depends on where/what you work in. But honestly, with no experience, what value would you bring to a company? Are you an expert designer or graphic artist? Do you understand marketing principles, market studies/research, or all the different areas of advertising. It's easy to think advertising is "creative" but in fact there are tons of business prinicipals and boring work that goes into any marketing or advertising campaign. To get into a "creative" position requires skill, hard work, and luck.

All this being said, you need some more education or excellent networking skills to even have a shot to get into one of these fields. And with the fact that you can't self motivate yourself to study for the GMAT makes it hard to think that you will self motivate yourself towards your career goals. You have to be 100% committed to get the most out of any school program, and it might be smart to start figuring out more of what you want to do.

I'd recommend contacting your college and seeing if you can see a career couselor. See if they can offer any help. And if not, you need to decide what you really want to do. THen committ 100%. Join networking clubs for that area, try to take classes or get into a school that will help you in that direction, try to find a mentor, network with family and friends, and don't stop until you know exactly what you want to do and get there. For experts in any career field, anyone that comes in and says "I want to do trading" will immediately know that you don't know what your talking about. Learn the field, live the field, and don't stop until you get where you want to be. Even with top education, no one will give you your dream job. It takes hard work and dedication.

Maybe advertising is a stretch, but I am truly passionate about trading. I guess, one way or another, I am looking at the most efficient way possible to start a career in trading.
Re: Need urgent help. Don't know where to start.   [#permalink] 06 May 2012, 07:29