Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 22:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need urgent help from GMAT experts

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 15

GMAT ToolKit User
Need urgent help from GMAT experts [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2013, 04:38
Hi,

I am currently preparing for GMAT exam. I am scheduled to take the test in first week of September.
However my recent practice test given in MGMAT show very poor scores:
MGMAT1 : 690
MGMAT2: 650
MGMAT3: 680
MGMAT4: 640
I am constantly getting demotivated by these scores. I am aiming for a score near 750.
I still have 1 test to take, and even if I do well in that, I am not sure I will have enough confidence to do well in the actual exam.
My quant scores are ranging from 45 to 50. whereas the verbal score is from 30 to 35.
I have gone through the OG13. fully once. I have decided to go through them again. I have gone though MGMAT SC,CR guides as well.
I am not very confident with the SCs (65% accuracy as per the OG12) , but I fair pretty decent in the CRs(80% accuracy as per OG12).
How should I plan my studies for the next one month?
Should I enroll for a new test series? say Kaplan?
Please help.
:|
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Need urgent help from GMAT experts [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 09:29
i am not doing well in quantative section..i read manhattan series..n cleared all my concepts..but while giving tests..when i see questions they are so different..n i lose confidence as i get low scores..can someonne suggest what i can do..and i am planning to give gmat in september 1st week..please any suggestions??
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 59

Kudos [?]: 186 [0], given: 66

Re: Need urgent help from GMAT experts [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2013, 22:25
Expert's post
Hi rheajain and nksbits, it's interesting that you both have similar problems although they're in different topics. The upside is you both have identified where you are weak and you both have plenty of time (5-6 weeks) to correct these weaknesses.

The advice I would give is similar for both of you, so feel free to read the other's paragraph as it may (hopefully) help you in some way as well.

For nksbits, you seem to have identified your problem area as sentence correction. I'm not sure enrolling in a new course will help you, although it couldn't really hurt. The first thing I'd do though is to go over the Sentence Correction questions in the Official Guide. As you can imagine, these are the closest to actual test day questions you're likely to see. Instead of seeing them as disjointed questions, look for overarching themes: Do pronouns vex you? Are you comfortable with timeline questions? Can you properly identify the subject in long passages? Once you've started to notice patterns on these questions, you'll be much more likely to notice similar patterns on GMAT questions you've never seen before. This should help boost your scores. If you're trying to get 750+, though, it might be more than just SC that's holding you back. Is there another area on the test that gives you fits? If so, let me know which and I'll see if I can help.

For rheajain, again you should look for patterns in the questions. If you truly understand the quant concepts, then you should be able to notice a few recurring question types on the exam. If everything seems brand new, then maybe review the theory to ensure you've grasped the concepts. The GMAT tests a finite number of topics, so at some point, you've seen them all. The questions are obviously dressed differently, but that's like me putting on a different shirt. It's the same guy at the core, you just have to recognize me from my camouflage that I'm using today (sort of like Where's Waldo). When you know the concepts forwards and backwards, you may not be able to solve every question, but you'll be pretty sure what the question is getting at when you're trying to work it out.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you both!
-Ron

Ron Awad
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses and Admissions Consulting Services
Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need urgent help from GMAT experts   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2013, 22:25