Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 67

Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 03:14
Hi there,

I have my GMAT in twenty days and its scary me like hell. Specially its SC part.. can you guys PLEASE (i beg of u) help me in giving tips as to how should i go about improving my verbal score in SC? I m very nervous, depressed and anxious about the exam. Pls help me :cry: :cry:

Shall be forever grateful to anybody who replies!! :(

EXPERTS PLEASE DO REPLY!!! I need you all urgently!
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1091

Kudos [?]: 4890 [0], given: 163

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2013, 20:12
Expert's post
swarman wrote:
Hi there,

I have my GMAT in twenty days and its scary me like hell. Specially its SC part.. can you guys PLEASE (i beg of u) help me in giving tips as to how should i go about improving my verbal score in SC? I m very nervous, depressed and anxious about the exam. Pls help me :cry: :cry:

Shall be forever grateful to anybody who replies!! :(

EXPERTS PLEASE DO REPLY!!! I need you all urgently!

Fear and anxiety make us work hard for an exam but in GMAT land, they are the perfect recipe for disaster. GMAT is as much a game of nerves as skill. Look at the bright side - what is the worst case scenario? You will not get the score you desire and will need to retake it. So what? Most people take it at least twice. Also, you can retake it in a month's time so its not like you will have to wait a year (the way it happens for some other exams). So throw away the shouty capitals and try to calm down.

As for SC, we have a whole book dedicated to it (as do other test prep providers) so there is hundreds of pages worth of material. It's not possible to condense it all in a post and that too without knowing what it is that you are missing. There are tons of sentence correction related posts on our blog: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/?s=sent ... on&x=3&y=7

All of them will give you insights on how to solve SC questions accurately. Lots of posts have great ideas e.g. 'Meaning matters', 'Colorless Green Ideas', 'You be the judge on Sentence Correction', 'De-clutter the sentence', 'Use Decision Points', 'SC for Non Natives' etc. Check them out.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Intern
Intern

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2013, 05:49
Thanks alot karishma!
God bless you :)
Intern
Intern

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2013, 10:59
Hi,

I am so glad that you replied. I went through your post and it was really encouraging.. I am giving Mocks these days.. Quant is 47 but Verbal is going around 31 only.. to my surprise this time my RC screwed it up!! sigh* i wonder if i would be able to make a balance on the D day.. i so i can.. can you tell me anything about RCs? Nevertheless, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 287

Kudos [?]: 645 [0], given: 6

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 08:16
Expert's post
RC is tricky -- you'll find that sometimes you breeze by on the passage. Other times you get stuck. And when it comes to DDay, you don't have a choice. You have to be able to do well on all types of RC -- so prepare for the worst. This means passages on topics you really have no clue about -- or passages that use technical jargon that may just confuse you.

If you focus on the author's message, dissect the passage into its structure, you can figure out the meaning of the passage without actually reading the whole thing. This is the strategy we show at gmatpill, read what you need to -- skip what you don't need. It's the cut the fluff strategy. That's part of it. Then you gotta finish reading, reflect on what you read so you have an understanding generally of what the passage is saying..then you go to the questions.

You can learn more by checking some sample passages:
http://www.gmatpill.com/practice-questi ... -guide-rc/

Best,
GMATPill

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1091

Kudos [?]: 4890 [0], given: 163

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 22:09
Expert's post
swarman wrote:
Hi,

I am so glad that you replied. I went through your post and it was really encouraging.. I am giving Mocks these days.. Quant is 47 but Verbal is going around 31 only.. to my surprise this time my RC screwed it up!! sigh* i wonder if i would be able to make a balance on the D day.. i so i can.. can you tell me anything about RCs? Nevertheless, THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

More than strategies and tricks for RC, you need to understand the weaknesses of human (and your own) behavior when you want to go from 30s to 40s. They are much more relevant in this range (of course, in addition to reading habits and question identification etc that everyone tells you about). Try to figure them out using your test results.

For example, do you find that often the answer is (A) or (B) but you mark (D) or (E)? The reason could be Beer Goggles.
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2012/09 ... questions/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: Need Urgent help in SC! #depressed   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2013, 22:09