Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Need Verbal improvement (at least V36)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

GMAT ToolKit User
Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 18 May 2012, 08:45
Hi everybody,

I'm french and English non native speaker.

I have troubles with timing in verbal section. During this section, I used to read twice the sentence for SC et twice the stimulus in CR. Thus I used to guess the five last questions in a row at the end.

Here my last scores :
CAT 1 E GMAT Manhattan 5/6/2012 560 42 Math
CAT 1 E GMAT Manhattan 5/6/2012 560 25 Verbal
CAT 2 E GMAT Manhattan 5/8/2012 600 43 Math
CAT 2 E GMAT Manhattan 5/8/2012 600 30 Verbal
Gmat Prep 1 14/05/12 540 47 Math
Gmat Prep 1 14/05/12 540 19 Verbal
Gmat Prep 2 18/05/12 600 44 Math
Gmat Prep 2 18/05/12 600 27 Verbal

I need at least V36 in Verbal. Some advices from Club Gmatters?

Teoh
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 84

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 23 May 2012, 14:51
Expert's post
You mention timing as your main challenge, but that may just be a consequence of something deeper. Why are you rereading the question stem? Is it due to nerves or (forgive me for asking) do you have some trouble fully absorbing the material in English?

I see that you have been quite busy with practice tests. While these are good for tracking performance or improvement overtime, four CATs in twelve days is probably too much. Doing so many might cause fatigue and adversely affect one's performance.

I also notice that you did not mention any guidebooks or the OG. Have you incorporated any books into your studies?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 12:11
Hi, thank you for your reply.

My books :
OG 12th
Kaplan Verbal Workbook
Kaplan Gmat Premier
Manhattan Books especially for Quant
Powerscore CR Bible.

I noticed that I'm used to read a text and answer the first question in 7 minutes that is too long I think.
In the last weeks, I was concentrated more in SC and CR and so I didn't practice the RC section.

I reschedule my gmat test on July 2nd.

Response to your reply :
"You mention timing as your main challenge, but that may just be a consequence of something deeper. Why are you rereading the question stem? Is it due to nerves or (forgive me for asking) do you have some trouble fully absorbing the material in English? Sometimes I didn't understand in one reading the sentences in RC but not all the time

I see that you have been quite busy with practice tests. While these are good for tracking performance or improvement overtime, four CATs in twelve days is probably too much. Doing so many might cause fatigue and adversely affect one's performance.

I also notice that you did not mention any guidebooks or the OG. Have you incorporated any books into your studies? See above"
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [1] , given: 431

Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 28 May 2012, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
If you didn't fully comprehend the content of the passage for RC, then we have a major challenge. Try to supplement some GMAT Fiction with your studies. It won't deliver miracles, but you might feel more comfortable with RC passages and increase your reading speed. Also, look into the RC directory. Start with the 500-level questions and work your way up.

The Manhattan SC guidebook is the best product on the market for this subject, but it's a dry and difficult read for some. If you're having trouble with it, look into the Aristotle SC Grail. The book is cheap and comes in PDF format, so you will receive it within a day or so. That gives you sufficient time to read it. For me, a good performance in SC requires three ingredients:

1. Read an SC guidebook over and over again. The SC is based on objective rules, so you need to constantly expose yourself to them.

2. After you answer an SC question, fully read the explanation - even for the questions that you answer correctly. This is essential, as you will better understand the SC rules and the test's "logic" as well as increase your confidence.

3. Be very, very active on the SC forums. Answer as many SC questions as possible. And make sure to fully explain and defend your answer choice. This helps big time.

I was always good at CR, so perhaps my advice is not as reliable. But the Powerscore CR Bible is fantastic. Usually reading it once is enough. Repeat my suggestions found in points two and three.

Here are the directories for SC and CR. As with RC, start with the easiest questions and go from there. Even if the question has already been comprehensively answered, post your interpretation anyway.

I realize that this is quite a bit, but a month of hard work and dedication should result in a better verbal score.

Good luck!

Intern
Intern

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 01:42
Thank you for these advices.

Also, I used the 6 Gmat manhattan CAT and these new exercices from GmatClub should help me to improve my verbal skills. I like the structure by level.
I think I used the question from Gmat manhattan and OG 12th and I'm looking for new questions. if you have more real GMAT questions available from internet, don't hesitate to tell me

Next step : work very hard in verbal maintaining my quant level
;-)
Expert Post
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 470 [0], given: 431

Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36) [#permalink] New post 29 May 2012, 08:06
Expert's post
Teoh wrote:
if you have more real GMAT questions available from internet, don't hesitate to tell me

This reminded me about OG Verbal (Second Edition). You're probably already aware of this product, but I thought it would be best to mention it just in case. This book is generally considered too easy, but it's cheap and contains an additional 300 questions.

Re: Need Verbal improvement (at least V36)   [#permalink] 29 May 2012, 08:06